Retained Placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

By the time you smell the stench...you already have a problem that may have been avoided with a properly done "manual clean-out". Worked for me so I anyway.

Interesting the different views on this matter.

All I can say is, if it hasn't come out after three days and it starts to smell pretty bad, something rotting inside my cow can't be a good thing. I will pull it out, give her some antibiotics, and out she goes. Have never had a problem with one breeding back. This is what my vet recommends as well. Had one last year, and one this year on a cow that aborted about 3 weeks early.

In my opinion, something rotting shouldn't be left in my cow.

bandit80":3eheqhlw said:
Interesting the different views on this matter.

All I can say is, if it hasn't come out after three days and it starts to smell pretty bad, something rotting inside my cow can't be a bad thing. I will pull it out, give her some antibiotics, and out she goes. Have never had a problem with one breeding back. This is what my vet recommends as well. Had one last year, and one this year on a cow that aborted about 3 weeks early.

In my opinion, something rotting shouldn't be left in my cow.

Bandit
I agree with you. That's why we didn't wait. With this cow all it took was couple of tugs on it and she had a big contraction and expelled it by herself. I would have not used the antibiotic myself but like I said she isn't my cow.

Latest posts