Retained Placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

Donnybrook

Reaction score
I need some more advice.... Had cow with retained placenta, she finally cleaned this morn which was her 6th day since calving & she had a real rough time calving a huge calf. She had Oxy shot & 45 cc of LA200 Sunday & nothing since. Would like to give her a shot to go on the side of precaution for infection but wondering if I should give her LA? Pen? or what & how much?? Thanks

If she acts fine, don't give her anything. If she acts sick and/or goes off feed, I'd use pennicillin - my personal preference over oxytet/LA200. FYI, penicillin is ineffective at the labeled dosages. 2mL/150lbs won't do a bit of good. Use 5mL/100lbs if you do decide you need it.

Donny Brook,
If you used oxy, did you give it within 48 hours of birth? IF it is a hard birth we give as soon as she calved. Oxy is given again a few hours later and several times in a 24 hour period if there is RP problems.
LA200 early on while she is still cleaning can cause her not to clean properly (wrong word but can't think of what i want) It actually delay's the cleaning process. If you gave the LA cause she was sick that is a different story. LA 200 kills the bacteria that is needed during the shedding process.
We have also used lute (vet recommended) to help her clean. It causes her to cycle and expell the RP...talk to your vet about that.
I've lost our calving check list from the vet, need to get a new one. She puts it out every year. So the exact protocols elude me at the moment.

Talk to your vet.
Just a thought, RP is a sign of deficency in minerals and vits. Might give a shot of AD and E/sel to the cows if you experience a lot of these this year.

RR

RP'S CAN REALLY BE BROUGHT TO A BARE MINIMUM ON A GOOD MINERAL SOURCE, I RECCOMEND VITAFERM ROUGHAGE FORTIFIER, AND IF YOU ARE REALLY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CONCEPTION RATES ,GO WITH CONCEPT AID. THERE IS NOT A BETTER BREEDER MINERAL MANUFACTURED. THIS PROGRAM WILL RUN YOU BETWEEN 45-50 DOLLARS A YEAR. BUT I WILL GUARANTEE YOU CAN TAKE YOUR MIND OFF NUTRITION AND GO TO WORK ON GENETICS. IF NOT I,LL EAT MY HAT! [youtube][YouTube][YouTube][*][/youtube][/YouTube][/YouTube]

dalebarber":30bpg6l5 said:
RP'S CAN REALLY BE BROUGHT TO A BARE MINIMUM ON A GOOD MINERAL SOURCE, I RECCOMEND VITAFERM ROUGHAGE FORTIFIER, AND IF YOU ARE REALLY HAVING PROBLEMS WITH CONCEPTION RATES ,GO WITH CONCEPT AID. THERE IS NOT A BETTER BREEDER MINERAL MANUFACTURED. THIS PROGRAM WILL RUN YOU BETWEEN 45-50 DOLLARS A YEAR. BUT I WILL GUARANTEE YOU CAN TAKE YOUR MIND OFF NUTRITION AND GO TO WORK ON GENETICS. IF NOT I,LL EAT MY HAT! [youtube][YouTube][YouTube][*][/youtube][/YouTube][/YouTube]

You gotta be a Rep. This is tho only thing you talk about. :mad:

JMichal":2zngjyk8 said:
dalebarber":2zngjyk8 said:

You gotta be a Rep. This is tho only thing you talk about. :mad:

And alwasy in CAPS

Poor management can be part of the cause. (Me). Also lack of proper nutrition. Feeding wrong mineral. Last two months I'd cut back on any grain ration I was feeding, feed a mineral with a 3:2 cal/phos ratio, very very low potassium level and very little salt. A shot of Vitamin A-D is good as well as an added source of selenium which your mineral should have. Organic selenium is the latest and greatest..Sel-Plex best known.

Latest posts