retained placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

skcatlman

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend that has just started calving and had a heifer retain the placenta after calving. In my animal physiology classes we were taught it was caused by a mineral imbalance. An old vet told me to try giving 10 gal of warm water with calf electorlytes mixed according to the label directions. It has worked every time for me and worked for my friend. half an hour after finshing the fluids she cleaned (i should mention don't leave it too long i was told the sucess rate went down). It just makes sense you are replacing the fluids and electrolytes lost in the calving process and because the fluid is warm it passes into the animals system quicker. I would like to hear from more veteranarians and see what they have to say about this and the theroy. I think that it works well and it is well worth it, just think how soon will a cow rebreed after a retained placenta or after she cleaned completely and easily?

Interesting. Retained placenta can be used by things other then a mineral imbalance. Difficult or prolonged delivery come to mind. Fortunatly we haven;t had to deal with one in many years. I'ld sure like to see some research on this cause it would be a real boon to have the ability to get them cleaned without just waiting for nature to take it's course. Years ago the accepted method was to go in and manually detach the placenta. Detaching the cotelydons from the caruncles was kind of like unsnapping a snap like on a shirt. It was found that by manually detaching it that it took longer for a return to esterus then if it was left alone to detach by itself. Normally in beef cows there isn;t any infection, it's just a real stomach turner and an inconvenince. With dairy cows there is a greater incidence of infection from retained placentas. That's the reason I think this is something that should be really seriously looked into. A delay of a month in getting rebred isn;t a big deal with most dairy cattle, but that would knock a calving season for a loop in a beef herd.

dun

I've learned to not pull on the placenta thats hanging out. Why? the weight of the placenta itself most always will bring the rest to follow. If you pull and break it, which happens most of the time gravity will not help out. :cboy:

A deficiency in Selenium and vitamin E can also result in a greater incidence of retained placentas than normal.

Also, early or late calving.
The old dairymen around here all think that a 5-gallon bucket of warm water is mandatory after calving for the cow to clean.
Not sure where that came from or IF it actually helps.
Sure, you give her the bucket of warm water as soon as she stands up - than when she lays back down - she cleans. Would she have cleaned anyway - well probably!
I have NEVER given my cows warm water and unless there is a set of twins - I can't remember the last time we had a retained placenta. Remember, normal is anywhere from like 1 hour to 24 hours - not considered retained.
If retained, Lutalyse at 7-10 days definately can help.
You don't pull on it, because it just leaves more "pieces" inside. Granted they occasionally get stepped on & pulled out, but it is best for it to be released internally by the natural cleaning out process. There will be enough "pieces" for her "bugs" to clean up without pulling it apart.
That's why you should NEVER give antibiotics if the cows is acting healthy. Antibiotics also kill the good bugs that would have cleaned up the left over mess.

I asked the vet about the eltrolyte deal. He says that it's pretty common with hroses. Unless there is a real imbalance of zinc, (brain fart, don;t recall the other 2) he doesn;t thnk it woould do much. But also doesn;t see where it would do any harm. Like Jeanne, my question is, how long before they clean do you consider it retained?

dun

I'm always suprised that so many people actually know if the cow has cleaned or not. I guess I've been lucky and have never had a problem (that I know of), but perhaps it could explain why some cows don't get breed back as quick as usual.

ChrisB - not sure what you mean. If they haven't passed the placenta, you would know. It's still hanging out of the vulva, and it'll sometimes drag on the ground - for weeks :shock:
Even if you were blind, you would be able to smell it (at least in the spring - now it would just freeze :D )

Sometimes all or part of the placental membranes will be completely retained though; nothing showing. Then it can be harder to know if and when they've cleaned.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":ikaa4v84 said:
Milkmaid, you are sooo right - but won't take you long to figure it out with the yukky discharge & SMELL :p

:lol: that's for sure. :p

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1drbzr8b said:
Milkmaid, you are sooo right - but won't take you long to figure it out with the yukky discharge & SMELL :p

You ain't kidding. I had a three year old first-calf heifer that retained for four days and didn't show much discharge, but you could smell her from quite a distance.

I gave her a bucket of kelp with some selenium pre-mix in it. I have no idea if that did the trick (I sort of doubt it would work that fast), but she cleaned that afternoon.

Will she be more likely to retain again this year - or will it just depend on how her calving goes?

I remember reading a post (I think by ALACOWMAN) that 3 year olds tended to have more incidence of distocia than 2 year olds. She definitely threw the biggest calf last spring - all the other heifers were 2 year olds. I don't know how long she was in labor - it was the only calving I missed.

Badaxemoo - retained placentas are more from nutrition early/late calves & dystocia than heridity. May NEVER do it again, unless she is prone to have large calves & has small pelvic area, than she may always have dystocia which can cause it each year - or if your mineral program isn't up to snuff!

You never forget the smell of a retained placenta, that is for sure.

Have to admit I never heard of the 10 gallon water/electrolyte trick. On bad rp's we have the vet out, usually results in an infection, where they need to be infused with a liquid, and or pills. This is dairy cows however, I imagine that isn't too practical with beef.

GMN

GMN":2as2m3rz said:

Have to admit I never heard of the 10 gallon water/electrolyte trick. On bad rp's we have the vet out, usually results in an infection, where they need to be infused with a liquid, and or pills. This is dairy cows however, I imagine that isn't too practical with beef.

GMN
For whatever reason, beef cattle rarely get sick with RP. I do feel that if the cow has to be kept locked up in a barn, it takes longer for her body to get rid of it. Exercise seems to help.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3jwf56pu said:
GMN":3jwf56pu said:

GMN
For whatever reason, beef cattle rarely get sick with RP. I do feel that if the cow has to be kept locked up in a barn, it takes longer for her body to get rid of it. Exercise seems to help.

Our cows are not kept locked in the barn, you must be thinking about the WI farmers.

GMN

GMN":1l8bukik said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1l8bukik said:
GMN":1l8bukik said:

GMN
No No - I wasn't referring to anyone. Just making a comment. Sorry to confuse the subject.

Our cows are not kept locked in the barn, you must be thinking about the WI farmers.

GMN

Latest posts