Retained placenta

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have a cow that stayed to herself for a few days. She seems to have calved, although no calf can be found. Vet doesn't make visits anymore. I am going to post pics of her. The vet has seen these and says the ball from her vagina is her swollen vagina from pushing too hard. It looks like retained place a to me but have never had one that looks round and not stringy. Any advice is appreciated.

Does she seem distressed? Are you sure the calf is out? Can you tell if she's been nursed? Looks weird to me. I think it would be redder and lumpy..Looks like amnio sack like, maybe still intact with the calf still being in there....

She is eating and drinking. Not stressed. Not nursed at all. Looks flatter like calf is either out or in birth canal. It does appear to me like amnio sack. But no pushing or any other indications of labor.

They calf could be backwards with butt presentation..Labor will stop. We've had it happen several times over the years. One time I saw what appeared to be afterbirth tissue, but was a tail..erk. If its been a few days and you think the calf is still in there, you'll have to take her to the vet and have the calf cut out. Apologize when you get there...lol..I did this one time, was told it took days for the smell to diminish..I apologized when I walked in, before I told them what I had....lol

Robinsnestfarms":tjhs9l6t said:
She is eating and drinking. Not stressed. Not nursed at all. Looks flatter like calf is either out or in birth canal. It does appear to me like amnio sack. But no pushing or any other indications of labor.
Calf is in birth canal,maybe a leg turned back,definitely go in and check.the sooner the better..calf may be dead,but don't lose the cow..just thinking about twisted uterus or torsion... Had a simbrah cow that did that once,, I see some Brahman influence there...

Latest posts