retained placenta of twins

Help Support CattleToday:

Rich Harry

Reaction score
greetings
new author, I have a large beefmaster 7 yrs old. She had twins 2 days ago, 1 large one small. Both are alive and doing well. Daddy was a beefmaster. Placenta drags the ground. She is the only gal that won't come in to corral for 4-5 days after. Last year she had twins and both were DOA. Had to pull them with Mom in loading chute.
What can happen ? some say 3 days some a week or 2.
thanks

you should not try and pull the placenta out. it could cause much damage. just leave it and it should be gone in a few days. if it does persist for an extended period of time you should have your vet check her out.

we have a cow, big cow, that has hers "hanging" out for a few days post birth. after 4 or 5 days the afterbirth is gone, and she looks just fine.

i agree with Ryder. if you can tie it up in a knot do that. But if you cant catch her dont worry about her too much just keep an eye on her. retained placenta is pretty common with twins. why dont you coax her in with some feed? no self-respecting beefmaster momma can resist a little feed...

I've never had any yet that didn't clean on their own it sometimees takes a few days , what ever you do , don't try to pull it out . my cows will usualy follow me anywhere with a bucket of feed, that should work to get her in.

I'd keep an eye on her and watch for any signs of sickness or infection, last year I had one of my calfsthat had to be pulled, we waited 3 days and the cow had not passed all of the afterbirth, we took her to the vet and she stayed there 2 weeks. She had developed an infection and had to be flushed 6 times within that 2 weeks to make sure it was all expelled during the flushings she is so long that the vet ultrsounded her and couldn't get all the way were he need to be to see anything. By then her Ph then was way off and we weren't sure if the she was going to be able to reproduce, luckily enough she bread back 3 months after being flushed and everything is well.

I appreciate the replies. today is the 3rd day, I will wait a few more days.
Momma should come in and bring the twins with her.
thx

On another board couple weeks ago I read... where one fellow tied off the placenta about 2/3rds of the hanging length and cut the balance off. Obviously to prevent the cow from hanginging /steepng on it and causing damage. Guess that would work.

What does anyone else think about that procedure.?

preston39":1oz4n1gy said:
On another board couple weeks ago I read... where one fellow tied off the placenta about 2/3rds of the hanging length and cut the balance off. Obviously to prevent the cow from hanginging /steepng on it and causing damage. Guess that would work.

I don;t cut off the remainder. I tie it up just above her udder into a ball/gob leave the extra weight to help pull it gently.

dunand

If they haven't cleaned after a couple of days I usually shove a couple of boluses up there to help them out. If you wait too long it really starts to stink and there is hardly any room to get your hand in. I've used oxytocin as well. Works well.

dun":2yycv134 said:
preston39":2yycv134 said:

I don;t cut off the remainder. I tie it up just above her udder into a ball/gob leave the extra weight to help pull it gently.

dunand

Dun,

Same here. Glad to know I wasn't missing something. The weight would help move it out. I've never had one hanging..... longer than a few hours.
Always a new experience coming around the corner tho.

preston39":35n5hxm2 said:
I've never had one hanging..... longer than a few hours.
Always a new experience coming around the corner tho.

Don;t read unless you have a strong stomach!

At a dairy one morning a cow came in the parlor that had had it hanging for 2 weeks. She passed it in the parlor and when it hit the floor spattered juice on everything. I ended up just throwing the shirt away, couldn;t get that stink out of it. But that may have been all in my head (at least there was something there for once). I walked out of the parlor while he cleaned it up, that smell on top of the puke from the dairyman was really something. That was right up there on the list of nastiest smells I've ever experienced.

dun

At a dairy one morning a cow came in the parlor that had had it hanging for 2 weeks. She passed it in the parlor and when it hit the floor spattered juice on everything. I ended up just throwing the shirt away, couldn;t get that stink out of it. But that may have been all in my head (at least there was something there for once). I walked out of the parlor while he cleaned it up, that smell on top of the puke from the dairyman was really something. That was right up there on the list of nastiest smells I've ever experienced.

dun

Like I said, boluses after two days or oxytocin works good, too.

Rich Harry":391tjrh7 said:
Hey what are boluses ? do they have em' in Texas ?

I imagine they do. I was using oxytocin until the neighbor turned me onto these boluses. I get em at the local Co-op store. They are kind of like big pills that you shove into the cows uno and they help them clean within a day. I don't have them right here but I'm sure if you asked the local vet and told him what you were looking for, he'd be happy to sell them to you for a decent price. I know that if they were real expensive, I wouldn't have bought them. Good Luck. :cboy:

We leave them alone. There has been recent research (well, you don't know what to believe anymore) that says it isn't good to pull it, and the vet allegedly will remove it just to make you think he's doing something.

If the cow is sick, that's a different story. But as long as she's healthy, it will fall out eventually.

dun.. I've had the same unfortunate accident happen to me. Trying to tie a small piece of brick onto the hanging part, and had it flop out and splash all over. YUCK. :oops:

Thanks again it seems that the best advice so far is to leave well enough alone. Momma is well and the twins are fine. this is day 4...

Update to retained placenta, 7 yr old asked that I change the name....
Momma lost her dragging placenta yesterday. She looks great and acts fine. She finally brought the twin boys in to show em' off.
The boluses thing will take some thought....
thanks to all !

Hey,

Great Post!

I have the EXACT same situation going on right now. Set of twins, one big, one small......born 3 days ago. Mother still hasnt cleaned, (Placenta dragging).

I logged on too post this question,......and low and behold!!

Rich Harry":3txmdd6y said:
I appreciate the replies. today is the 3rd day, I will wait a few more days.
Momma should come in and bring the twins with her.
thx

At this stage of the cows trying to rid herself of her placenta, I will insert 4 sulfar pills into the womb. The sulfar will help to loosen up the palcenta, plus help fight the infection developing....

Latest posts