Retained Ownership

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Don't know if this is the right topic to post this question on...anyhoo...

If one has cattle to put in a "retained ownership" program (small program or large), what are procedures and charges?

One thought:

Weight of animal when placed in program.
Gain while in program.

Then, how much is usual "boarding" charge while in the program?

What are any $$ splits, benefits of the person placing animal in such a program?

Appreciate anyone's comments!

Running Arrow Bill":2q53bxcy said:
Don't know if this is the right topic to post this question on...anyhoo...
If one has cattle to put in a "retained ownership" program (small program or large), what are procedures and charges?
One thought:
Weight of animal when placed in program.
Gain while in program.
Then, how much is usual "boarding" charge while in the program?
What are any $$ splits, benefits of the person placing animal in such a program?
Appreciate anyone's comments!

By "retained ownership", I suppose you mean you will foot all the bills until the cattle finish, instead of selling them as feeders?

There are many, many different options available at many different feedlots.

Will you be selling them on the hoof after finishing, or selling them on a grid? Which grid? Which feedlot?

Or are you talking about a local producer program? If so, you will have to get your answers from that program because they vary from state to state, and from county to county.

I could tell you how mine works, but it may be different from yours.

Not sure about any of it. Just wondered what the issues were in this option I keep hearing about.

As such, guess I'm referring to someone taking a calf to a "program", someone else feeding it out, then "them" selling or buying the animal for you. And, then sending you a check for any difference and/or gain the animal did.

Latest posts