Retail beef prices are dropping.

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":14s6tki2 said:
Nothing I saw in the article mentioned Mexican beef.

Did I miss something?

You must not buy the beef. US beef is twice as much as Mexican beef at the grocery store. Prime CAB ribeyes were $18.50 lb with the purchase of 10+ lbs last week at our meat market.

M.Magis":3vfly96k said:
What does CAB have to do with US/Mexican beef?

Never said it did. But CAB must be prime beef or the top two levels of choice. Imported beef can't and doesn't grade CAB, and the USDA inspector can't see the hide color on imported beef either. That's a couple of good reasons to believe that CAB is US raised beef in my opinion.

Very good point there TG.
All of mine is CAB no matter if it graded (freezer)

True Grit Farms":2qqu4l7v said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2qqu4l7v said:
Nothing I saw in the article mentioned Mexican beef.

Did I miss something?

You must not buy the beef. US beef is twice as much as Mexican beef at the grocery store. Prime CAB ribeyes were $18.50 lb with the purchase of 10+ lbs last week at our meat market.

So you confirm, nothing in the article referenced Mexican beef? Basically it pointed out prices are lower (we all knew that) and demand is going up. Econ 101.

TennesseeTuxedo":gppkv5hn said:
"The United States exported 2.55 billion pounds of beef in 2016, up 12.56% from 2015."

http://beef2live.com/story-beef-exports ... 6-0-156863

Imports down, exports up.

Never let facts blur mindless hysteria.

You have me on the ropes like always. So with US beef exports up 12.5 percent and the price falling at the grocery stores, Mexican beef has no input on the US market? I'm trying to figure out what point your wanting to debate.
I didn't go to Harvard, just the school of hard knocks.

True Grit Farms":18c09v9i said:
TennesseeTuxedo":18c09v9i said:
"The United States exported 2.55 billion pounds of beef in 2016, up 12.56% from 2015."

You have me on the ropes like always. So with US beef exports up 12.5 percent and the price falling at the grocery stores, Mexican beef has no input on the US market? I'm trying to figure out what point your wanting to debate.
No one said it had no input. But you implied it was the primary factor in the price drop, which is absolutely incorrect.

M.Magis":odmubpot said:
True Grit Farms":odmubpot said:
TennesseeTuxedo":odmubpot said:

No one said it had no input. But you implied it was the primary factor in the price drop, which is absolutely incorrect.

And that the primary import threat is Mexico which is also a dubious claim. Bottom line, we all need someone to blame when things go wrong (translation - go our way). Blaming is counterproductive in every facet of life. Don't need a Harvard degree for that. That info comes from the school of hard knocks.

M.Magis":2md26lzj said:
True Grit Farms":2md26lzj said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2md26lzj said:

Alright then, why is the beef price dropping when the US is exporting more beef?

angus9259":1q20yo0u said:
M.Magis":1q20yo0u said:
True Grit Farms":1q20yo0u said:

And that the primary import threat is Mexico which is also a dubious claim. Bottom line, we all need someone to blame when things go wrong (translation - go our way). Blaming is counterproductive in every facet of life. Don't need a Harvard degree for that. That info comes from the school of hard knocks.

Well I can only go on what I see and the answers to my questions from the butcher's. We ask all time where did the beef come from? From New York to Florida I've got the same answer. The cheapest beef is from Mexico every time.
We refuse to eat foreign beef, seafood and vegetables if at all possible, our life could depend on it.
I'm not blaming anyone for anything, life's good let's keep it that way.

True Grit Farms":16hfuz9t said:
M.Magis":16hfuz9t said:
True Grit Farms":16hfuz9t said:

Alright then, why is the beef price dropping when the US is exporting more beef?

I'm seeing price improvements at the sales I track. I'd say prices are normalizing after the anomaly of higher prices on the hoof we saw in 2014-2015. We all knew those prices were unsustainable.

TennesseeTuxedo":24gxvoor said:
True Grit Farms":24gxvoor said:
M.Magis":24gxvoor said:

I'm seeing price improvements at the sales I track. I'd say prices are normalizing after the anomaly of higher prices on the hoof we saw in 2014-2015. We all knew those prices were unsustainable.

I'd like to see the prices hold about where there at now, it's good for everyone. If fuel and fertilizer stay close to the same price a good cattlemen can make money.

True Grit Farms":1gfyyies said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1gfyyies said:
True Grit Farms":1gfyyies said:

I'd like to see the prices hold about where there at now, it's good for everyone. If fuel and fertilizer stay close to the same price a good cattlemen can make money.

Finally we can agree!

True Grit Farms":1yp4xgw5 said:
M.Magis":1yp4xgw5 said:
True Grit Farms":1yp4xgw5 said:

Because I no longer get in excess of $1600 for a 500 lb calf.......

Latest posts