Results from May 2008 AI

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
Last May, I Synchronized and AI'd 22 cows as I normally do every year. Last year however, I did not time AI the cows as I have had some bad results with that. I put the CIDRs in, gave GnRH and pulled them on day 7, giving a shot of lutalyse, and then heat detecting and AI'ng. I was able to catch 17 in standing heat and AI them. I have 16 calves on the ground from those, and I don't think the other settled AI but she is only 1 day late. The other 5, the protocol I used said to AI and give GnRH 84 hours after pulling the CIDR. I only got 1 out of those five.

All in all, 17 out of 22, which is alot better than the timed AI I had done in the past. My thoughts are for this year, any that I don't catch in heat, I will follow up with a second shot of lutalyse 7 days after the first. Thoughts?

You're doing something right.

I don't use CIDRs, just the GnRH and prostaglandin (ovsynch programme). Did 19 cows last year. Three of them came on heat early - AI'd those.
Timed AI the other sixteen - a different technician did them because I couldn't be bothered doing 20 in one hit.

Two of the first three held. Two of the sixteen held to their mating (about half show signs of heat that day). Three of the three naturally cycling cows AI'd along with those sixteen held.
I've had bad results every year from synchronising. Still do it, because they get in calf second or third time round - better than not getting in-calf at all.

Bandit, in most of the protocols that I have seen the time AI on the non-heats is at 72 hrs. Typically these cows didn't respond for a reason so you're never going to get a high percentage of these bred, but you may get 1 or 2 more by breeding 12 hrs earlier than you did last year.

To answer your question, lutalyse 7 days after the first injection on anything you don't see in heat should work very well if those cows are cycling.

Latest posts