Restricted numbers and non workung numbers.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
I just had a number call me that I didn't recognize and no one left a voice mail. So I called it back, 2293157117 and the number is no longer in service, been disconnected or changed, someone must be trying to scam something. I get restricted calls and don't answer them either unless I'm expecting a call from the Sheriff or GW. Being on a no call list helps with unwanted calls but doesn't stop them.

The telemarketers have figured out how to make their calls show as local numbers. I get several per week that show up as 936-825 or 936-870 numbers, which are Navasota prefixes.

Seems like folks that doesn't like being bothered by other folks...
are the one that get bothered the most...like diabetics are the first ones to step on a nail...

It is called called Id spoofing. Telemarketers hack into phone carriers database and temp. Use a number. Any number they steal will show up on the receiving party's caller Id. Many times the the customers who's number is stolen phone will ring with no one on it when they are using their number to place a call. It is illegal, but most of this comes out of India and Jamiaca, where they apparently have bigger problems than phone scammers. The good news is that if they steal your number they typically only use it for about two weeks before they go onto another number.

For maybe the past month or two, I constantly get "local" calls. Starts out "This is a recorded service" and/or "do you hear me OK" I am on the "no call" list. Lot of good it does. Well, maybe I would be getting lots more???? Annoying. Especially, when you are in the middle of something & you have to stop & fish out your phone.

callmefence":2sj2z4k5 said:
You sure have cozied up to the gubbermint lately.....
This time of year we're on a first name basis, it's like clock work with the dang so called deer hunters. I can no longer physically fight my own battles, so what other choice does a person have. I've made several attempts to get armed trespassing up graded to a felony charge, but the state doesn't have the man power or balls to do it.

True Grit Farms":p8ss5v3v said:
callmefence":p8ss5v3v said:
You sure have cozied up to the gubbermint lately.....
This time of year we're on a first name basis, it's like clock work with the dang so called deer hunters. I can no longer physically fight my own battles, so what other choice does a person have. I've made several attempts to get armed trespassing up graded to a felony charge, but the state doesn't have the man power or balls to do it.

Gotcha.. when I moved back home the poachers and arrowhead digger's where practically tearing the fences down. We took the tires off one car parked on the private road.
Ol red had about 30 years on you though grit... ;-)

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1nlvuli2 said:
For maybe the past month or two, I constantly get "local" calls. Starts out "This is a recorded service" and/or "do you hear me OK" I am on the "no call" list. Lot of good it does. Well, maybe I would be getting lots more???? Annoying. Especially, when you are in the middle of something & you have to stop & fish out your phone.
I recently read that if you answer "Yes" if they ask if you can hear them, you are implying consent, essentially saying yes to whatever product they are selling. As a general rule I don't answer any calls I don't recognize; I figure if it's important they'll leave a message. Do Not Call applies only to legitimate businesses :frowns:

I googled that number and it's supposedly the NSA. However, I'm not 100% buying it. Hang on there's a black SUV out front, and three guys in suits with dark glasses. If anything happens to me tell my wife I love her....

TCRanch":15eblhr8 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":15eblhr8 said:
I recently read that if you answer "Yes" if they ask if you can hear them, you are implying consent, essentially saying yes to whatever product they are selling. As a general rule I don't answer any calls I don't recognize; I figure if it's important they'll leave a message. Do Not Call applies only to legitimate businesses :frowns:

I've heard similar.. they're fishing for the word yes in your voice to paste in somehow and make a sale.

I think calling them back is one of your fault. They are probably scammers which use spoofed numbers to call random people, including you. I think it's better to let them leave messages rather than calling them back. Or, you could Google the number or check it on some services like http://whycall.me to see if people have reported the number as scammers, so that you could block the number without answering them.

TCRanch":3fsmf8u7 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":3fsmf8u7 said:
We have caller ID here,too.If we don't recognise the number,they get the answering machine.

I am very concerned about the"can you hear me okay?" calls.Especially for older and hearing impaired people.What might you say yes to that you don't know?We started our policy of not answering unknown numbers several years ago.

Very little the law can do as some are overseas or they use "burn phones".If you recall the number,you never get an answer.

I can't stress beware enough.

Latest posts