Respiratory Vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

Grove7

Reaction score
I've switched modified live respiratory vaccines this year on my feeder calves. I'm having more sickness than usual. Just wondering what others have seen for comparisons and good or bad experiences. Thanks

I assume you mean switched to modified live and not just changed ML brands.
Could you provide more information?

Purchased or home raised calves? Age at vaccination? Vaccinate 2-3 weeks before anticipated stress.
Buying calves and vaccinating day of arrival when they are already stressed is not recommended and in my opinion
might be increasing your rate of shipping fever.

Lot of moving parts, doubt changing MLV is the culprit. I prefer to use MLV from different manufacturers with the idea that the strains they are working with might be slightly different enough thus giving a broader vaccination footprint.... probably a flawed argument but makes me sleep better.

culprit is most likely sale barn, time/stress and nutrition. world of difference straightening out ranch calves that have been worked before vs sale barn cutting bulls

Grove7":jkhaqgzm said:
I've switched modified live respiratory vaccines this year on my feeder calves.
I'm having more sickness than usual.
Just wondering what others have seen for comparisons and good or bad experiences. Thanks
Worse than originally thought as it appears to have done in our 1 and done poster too.
r.i.p.