Respiratory troubles

Help Support CattleToday:

badroute

Reaction score
I looked at my calves in Nebraska the end of March. First time they have gone down there. Looked good but there were alot of pulls, which isn't good since I'm in the naturals program. When I got home I called my buyer of the previous nine years(from SD) to ask of any troubles he had with the cattle and he said they were some of the healthier cattle he ever had. I guess I was wonderin if anybody had any advice or thoughts or experience with raising natural cattle and had any health problems. I like to think I have a good health program as I give all the shots in the world and have my cattle on CTC mineral 9 months out of the year. I guess I dont have an answer for the health problems.

Hey Badroute,

I'm curious...what's this 'natural program' that you mentioned in your post? Always like to learn more about how other folks run their cattle.
Thanks.

Take care.

I am wondering the same thing about this natural program. Please elaborate.

The naturals program is no hormones or antibiotics. If I have to treat something in the pasture before I wean it is not sent to the feedlot as natural. The premiums for the program right now are pretty good. Creekstone Farm bought my natural calves here about two weeks ago. Still waiting for the carcass data.

Some folks around here are getting into organicly grown beef. That means no chemicals on grass, fertiliizer or otherwise. They also have to feed organic grown feed in the winter. They pay a lot of money for the special feed. They can't give any meds either. I am looking for the market to crash on these cattle any day now. Its not very big to begin with as a pound of beef is a whole lot more expensive that regular beef. Pretty soon all the health food people will get on a differant kick and somebody will be left with a cow that has way to much cost in it to makeup.

jerry27150":323sfabg said:
if you can get hooked up with them, they do pay alot more
Does the producer make more money? Or do the losses/expenses offset the difference? Just wondering.

Badroute, your post topic says respiratory troubles and you mention pulls is it only the calves which have been pulled having this respiratory problem or is it all of them? I would be concerened about the pulls also, are these calves out of bulls you have used before, if so have you had to pull them before? What are the birth weights and what breed or breeds?

Dad at the Ranch":3f6ggmq0 said:
Badroute, your post topic says respiratory troubles and you mention pulls is it only the calves which have been pulled having this respiratory problem or is it all of them? I would be concerened about the pulls also, are these calves out of bulls you have used before, if so have you had to pull them before? What are the birth weights and what breed or breeds?

Pulls in a feedlot refers to calves that are pulled from the pen they are in and treated for illness.

dun

dun":3jss2mq7 said:
Dad at the Ranch":3jss2mq7 said:

Pulls in a feedlot refers to calves that are pulled from the pen they are in and treated for illness.

dun
======
dun,
then once treatment is required..they are no longer organic...and have to go on the ....regular market...correct? Or is there a time period to re certify them as organic?
Organic/natural..the same ..correct?

Bama":2tn2e33e said:
Some folks around here are getting into organicly grown beef. That means no chemicals on grass, fertiliizer or otherwise. They also have to feed organic grown feed in the winter. They pay a lot of money for the special feed. They can't give any meds either. I am looking for the market to crash on these cattle any day now. Its not very big to begin with as a pound of beef is a whole lot more expensive that regular beef. Pretty soon all the health food people will get on a differant kick and somebody will be left with a cow that has way to much cost in it to makeup.
==========
bama,
I have had the same thoughts as yours...but, it seems organic is becoming of bigger demand in most all foods.

In travels I am always asking folks about organic....many say they want more organic availabel across the board. I guess only a small portion of the foods/beef is organic so far. I know at the market you pay a hefty premium for most organic offerings.

For our personal use...we segregate 2 cows and calves in the spring and put them in a seperate pasture/prevenitive shots only.....with no chemical exposure. Our plan is that at least one will make it thru 700#...which is the weight we like. If we have both finished...there is always someone who has spoken for the excess one...with outstanding requests.

I know a guy personally that raised organic turkeys. He sold 15 for $40.00 each dressed last thanksgiving. He was left holding 35. Holding turkeys are a lot less invested money than beef.

Dun; I did't read anything in the orginal statement about the calves being in a feed yard, I Was thinking inside the box to much. But I have feed cattle in feed yards in Texas / Okla / Kansas, & Nebraska just never herd the term before, Thanks! Never to old to learn.

deno, there was an outfit around here that was advertising for natural calves. if you got hooked up to them they were paying more than enough to cover any death loss you would normally have. key word is normally