Respiratory problem with bull

Help Support CattleToday:

bigsteve

Reaction score
I have a 2 year old bull that has recently developed what I would describe as severe nasal congestion. He can breath through his nose but it is very loud and apparently challenging for him. I have not seen any discharge. He will occasionally breath through his mouth, in which case he appears to breath effortlessly. He is still getting around well and has a great appetite.

None of my other cattle are affected.

What could cause this? Are there any home remedies that could clear it up?

Cattle get allergies. It causes nasal congestion - stopped up nose. It is common to be associated with loud breathing. I have a couple showing the symptom of allergies right now.

bigsteve":3dfwifis said:
Is there anything I can do?

Nasal congestion may not have a remedy. I had a very fine bull calf prospect that had an audible nasal congestive problem. I had a vet thoroughly investigate the problem. To the extent that I requested a tracheal flush and the rinse cultured for bacteria. The culture came back NEGATIVE. Suggesting a chronic nasal malady. Unfortunately, no one wants a bull that has an audible nasal malady. I sent what was one of my best bull calf prospects to the slaughter sale.

If there are no adverse symptoms other than audible nasal congestion, there may be no need or benefit to an action.