Resonable amount

Help Support CattleToday:

What's the most reasonable amount to invest in actual purchase of cattle?(as a starter on a miniumum

• 5,000- 10,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10,000- 15,000

• 15,000-20,000

• 20,000- 30,000

• Total voters

handyandy101g

Reaction score
What amount is a reasonable amount to invest in the actual purchase of the cattle? (any type) please no smart remarks if you don't like the questions i am asking go read something else.

If all of the infrastructure is in place, to start out only invest the amount you can afford to lose. Not a smart remark, just a safe rule of thumb with any new endeavor

Handy if you are dead set on doing this then I would say buy some older bred cows that have complete health records from a producer you know and TRUST.Get a vet to check them; certify them before one ever steps foot on your property.

Do a search on the boards of Bez and all his different handles as he has gone over countless times what a new producer needs to do before they have one head of cattle.Buy the breed that sells well in your area and that you like to work with,because you will be spending more time with them than your family.

Good luck and enjoy your new cows.

And what Dun stated only invest as much as you can lose.

Same as has been said before, only what you can lose. I would start with a minimal amount, it is easier to buy more later than gain hard knocks with too many cattle or too much money invested.

Alan

Handyandy,
Re:
What's the most reasonable amount to invest in actual purchase of cattle?(as a starter on a miniumum budget)
Without reading anything into your question, or asking for further information, I selected $5,000 - $10,000 as it was the lowest choice available.
Assuming the old rule of thumb, a $1.00 per pound purchase price, that can buy you, as a beginner (starter), all you should start out with.

I strongly recommend you start out with feeders and not cows or breed cows.
Hope this helps
SL

handyandy101g":3u6u9y8d said:
What amount is a reasonable amount to invest in the actual purchase of the cattle? (any type) please no smart remarks if you don't like the questions i am asking go read something else.

Well, I'm thinking the 'reasonable' amount is going to depend on your experince level. What is your background as far as cattle are concerned, do you have experience or are you a newbie? Nothing wrong with being a newbie, but if I were new to cattle, I sure wouldn't be investing 5-10,000 dollars in them - that is a very good way to lose your shirt(in more ways than one)! I would start out with a few head, see how it goes, and expand from there.

Just as in gambling...........do not invest more than you can afford to lose.

i chose the $10.000 to $15000 range.an heres why im assuming you have a corral an fences in order.an that you have some cash money an not going on borrowed money all the way.do not start with more than you can lose or pay back.the cows will cost you $1000 a hd or more depending on what you get.the bull will cost $1500 to $2000 depending on the bull you buy.so my choice would get you 8 to 13 cows an a bull.now if your going reg cows they will cost $1500 to $2500 or more.

I think this is a question that is difficult to answer without knowing any more than you stated. Do you have pasture? Feed? Fencing? Corrals? Shelter? Water? You can spend more on this than on the cows and spend it in a hurry.

It depends

if you don't know much about cattle i'd say 0
If you know what you are doing i'd say get enough to sell a load at a time.

We have invested $52,000 in 57 fall and spring calving cows this last August. We had 30 cows to start. We have been planning this expansion for about 5 years now. We borrowed all the capitol for the cows and a large portion for the fencing. We own the land and most of the equipment we need. Resonable?????? not for sure.......RISKY No Doubt About It!
Good luck in what you decide. We are very happy with our decision and look forward to the future (rain would be nice!)
George

i say to make money you have to spend money. $10,000 would only get you 8 cows and a bull. if you already have the land i say go all out spend what you can, because when the calve you we get it back. If you really want to make money on cattle, DON'T spend any money on them. Its a lot of money to be mad, but the4 majority of things people buy on this board is overkill. Let them eat grass a few mineral blocks here and there, de-worm once a year and let them be. NO VET, NO BUCKET FEEDING, NO BOTTLE FEEDING, NO CREEP FEED, nothing

With all the variables unknown, I would think a more valid question would be how much is a reasonable amount per unit. $50,000 is way out of line if you have 10 acres but not even a good start if you have 10,000 acres.

Play this like poker buy until you have spent all loose money, or spend just before mortgaging your roof, bed and dinning table. Wait until the banker tells you there is no more fun it is payday.

This what I do. get the urge to gamble go buy 20 or 30 or so pairs. It takes about 11 months to know, if I am broke or in the chips.

One other thing to remember you are selling grass if you don't
you have grass you cannot sell cattle at a profit.

Hill Rancher's last statement on grass is something to keep in mind. Also, your investment in animals is only as good as your investment in facilities. In the beginning, one or two dead cattle will kill an operation .... good fences ... good pen ... dependable water supply .... and a real good mentor are a must. We started with 9 cows and a bull (about 10K). The mentor advised this and so far ... so good. Really good!

Sorry but your question is way to broad.
You can buy 1 cow for $1000 or $30,000. One you will sell a calf a year the other you sell embryos.
What is your goal? What is your plan? You must have these in place before you can determine cost or what is needed for investment capital.

Assuming you have the land, the grass, and the money spend as much as it takes to get into full production. Buy pairs or bred cows. Good 550 lb weaned heifers at the YARD are going to cost you $550 a head (on the low end in many markets right now). Then you have to develop those heifers and it will be a full two years before you have any income AT ALL. Bred heifers/or even bred cows can be had in the $800-1200 range private treaty in quantity all over the place. You will have more in the weaned heifers than that after this winter and still have another winter to go with them.

I would only purchase what you can pay cash for and support without borrowing money to do it until you have a calf crop to sell. Then you will see how much money it takes to get the operation up and keep it running profitably.

Not all would agree but I'd start small and work your way up. If all goes well, purchase more. If not, then you aren't up to your eyeballs in debt.

Latest posts