research

Help Support CattleToday:

Beef08

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am doing some research and I wanted to get a idea on the yearly average income/expenses of a cattle farm. I realize that number of head plays a part in it, but I am curious to know that the average is. So anyone who will help, I appreciate it.

i cant tell you about what others make a year off of cattle.but i can tell you what ive done the last year.started with 4 reg cows an $6000 debt.expenses for the year was $7200 including payments.an only sold 2 reg heifers for $1600.then bought 2 cows for $3000.so my debt load is almost where i started again.so as for profit for the year its a $0.i doubt ill ever make a profit because ill always be buying cows ever so often.with selling 6 calves this year thats $4800 a year in calf sales.wich means ill breakeven maybe this year.

Beef08, funny you should ask, just a few days ago I was wondering what it cost per day to feed a cow. I ran some 3 year averages of income vs expenses and came up with this:

Based on 105 Cows.

To feed: expenses includes - fertilizer, feed, chemicals, fuel, labor, rent, seed, income from hay sold - $.58/day.

Total expense: expenses includes - above items plus, capital expenses, insurance, repairs, supplies, taxes, utilities, veterinary, accounting, dues, liscense and permits = $1.69/day.

Total income: cows and bulls sold, calves sold, hay sold = $1.48/day.

Total income + hay inventory = $1.73

Net gain per day over last three years = $.06/day/cow.

It's bout where i suspected it.. Do you think people will ever be able to fulltime farm and make a decent living? Like they used to...

Beef08":1nltzswy said:
It's bout where i suspected it.. Do you think people will ever be able to fulltime farm and make a decent living? Like they used to...
Don't give up hope. Start thinking outside the box. Be flexible. A farm can have numerous enterprises. Some will make more than others. We started dirt farming this past winter. There is a huge demand for "local grow produce".
One other advantage- When the economy is falling apart all around you, you'll have plenty to eat. We're eating like kings right now.

Here is another question for anyone who cares to answer. What about the average income for farming crops such as: cotton, soybeans,wheat or corn? And how hard is it to get started in that type of farming if you are completely starting from scratch?

Latest posts