Repurchusions of horse slaughter ban

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Widespread horse abuse making headlines
By Drovers news source (Wednesday, January 16, 2008)

An undeniable tsunami of horse abuse cases has swept across the USA since the de facto ban on horse processing — pushed by vegan driven animal rights groups — went into effect in early 2007. In the past few months alone, major media outlets including the Chicago Tribune, Coeur D'Alene Press, Portland Oregonian, Austin American Statesman, Seattle Times, UPI, Washington Post, Rockford Register Star, Associated Press, and The Wall Street Journal chronicled cases of horse abuse and neglect from all across the nation including Illinois, Idaho, Oregon, Texas, Washington, Colorado, Virginia, Alabama and Florida.

Animal rights activist groups are responsible for the legal actions that forced three horse processing facilities, two in Texas and one Illinois, to close. As a result, the price of horses has declined markedly. Rather than sell the horses some owners are setting them free, others are letting them starve and, worse yet, refusing to call the veterinarian for perfectly treatable conditions, causing an unspeakably horrible animal welfare crisis.

''This sad state of affairs is the direct result of the anti-horse slaughter movement, piloted by the vegan-led Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) and other animal rights organizations,'' said Kay Johnson-Smith, Executive Vice President of the Animal Agriculture Alliance. ''These groups claim to care about animal welfare, but when faced with an animal welfare disaster caused by their efforts, callously insist that the market will sort itself out or, worse yet, coldheartedly dispute that this crisis exists, despite the undeniable documented surge in animal abuse cases. All the while, they leave seriously underfunded local animal rescue operations to save animals.''

''It is time for the federal government to intervene and stop these animals, considered by many to be American icons, from being used by vegan groups as political pawns in their quest to impose their vegetarian agenda on our nation,'' added Johnson-Smith. ''Additionally, it is time for all governments — federal, state and local — to recognize these groups for what they are, extremists attempting to use animal welfare as a tool to advance their radical vegan agenda.''

Source: Animal Agriculture Alliance news release

Well said Mr. Dun, people here have horses that they can't sell or give away.

Pretty sad when you read about guys finding horses turned loose in their pastures or read the lost and found ads and see," Found two paint mares, see at auction yard."," Found bay gelding, see at auction yard." yes these were just a few that I saw. The people are just turning them loose out here now. There is a wild horse herd in southern MT and I am wondering how big it has grown since this ban.
Nice article Dun.
The only problem is to get that info out into the peoples hands who need to see it. Like the people in the cities. Don't think it would do too much, but it might open a few eyes though.

All I can say is:

All of those mis-informed, agendizing propaganda, extremists that are trying to infect the good name of sensible agriculture with their ANTI-SLAUGHTER, ANTI-GUN agendas throughout the WORLD haven't a clue as to the "trickle-down" fallout of their radical publicizing of their minority views. Too bad the BIG cattle associations and BIG horse associations and BIG pro-second amendment politicians and groups (EXCUSING the great work the NRA is doing to try to counter some of these radical "no-guns" views), can spend some of their mega-bucks on setting the naive public straight on what's REALLY happening with those radical activists...

:mad: :help:

Just arreseted a guy about 5 miles from here last week. Had four starved or starving horses on his property. Two were dead, one had to be put down and the other went to a rescue farm. Don't know if it's a direct result of the slaughter ban, though.

There was a horse or better yet the remains of a horse that had been left tied to a tree with a halter and lead rope found on the property of some older people who dont get out to check out there property very often.

I think it was some of their kids who had came in to vist with them who found the remains of the horse. Mostly what was left of the horse when they found it was hide and bones in sort of a hanging position because the horses head had been tied up short to the tree when it had first been tied there. Then whoever had tied it just went off and left it to starve without food or water so when it finally died its upper half of its body was sort of dangiling from the tree.

The people who found it took pictures of it and was going to run an add in the papper looking for any information as to who might be responsible for doing this. And when they dropped the pictures off to have them developed the person who developed them turned them in to the humane society.

I hear alot of people advertiseing on the local radio station looking for owners of horses that have just showed up on their property. And they was tired of feeding them but did not know what to do with them.

You know what people are going to have to do is dispose of them themselfs. A friend of mine had a horse last summer that was lame and he took it out and shot it. That was the responsible thing to do. Under the circumstances people dont have to many other choices.

In my area it is sad to see the conditon of some of the horses on peoples "ranches". I'm not a liberal tree hugger or prairie fairy by any means but some of this stuff just isn't right. Seems people have humanized horses so they are afraid to put them down. I've even considered getting in the saddle business since I could have bought 8 horses this summer along with all the saddles and gear for $800. I'm pretty sure I could have capped the horses and sold the saddles and made a tidy profit but that would have been wrong ~ right. I mean killing an old starving horse.

Joe,

Myself i dont think it would have been the wrong thing to do. As bad as i hate to say it i think now that this horse slaughter bill has passed someone should open up a disposial service for the animals.

If it were not for all the red tape and if i had the land and dozer to burry the animals with. I would open up a service myself. I bet people would be willing to pay $50 to put a horse down and to burry it. I have a friend who is a city mayor and he was telling me that they have to pay $25 per dog regardless of size for someone to pick them up and dispose of them.

But now if you or i start capping horse's, dogs, cats, etc...., we would be turned in and have the authoritys ready to put us on death row.

But eventually something like that is going to have to take place.

But eventually something like that is going to have to take place.

You're right, Stepper. And a lot of veterinarians will agree with you. I know that mine does...

Alice

Check this out.
National & World Ag News Headlines

Horse Exports to Mexico for Slaughter Up 300-Percent
USAgNet - 01/15/2008

Ever since the last three remaining horse slaughter operations in the United States were ordered closed last year, the number of horses exported to Mexico for slaughter has increased, according to the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association. MeatPoultry.com reports that as of Dec. 20, 2007, 44,475 horses had been shipped to Mexico for processing for human consumption compared with 10,783 shipped during the same time in 2006--a 312% increase.

Given the high volume of American horses slaughtered annually when the U.S. horse meat processing companies were open, a spike in U.S. equine exports to Mexico was expected once they closed. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, a total of 138,206 American horses were processed in 2006. Of those, 102,260 were sent to U.S. facilities, 24,866 to Canadian facilities and 11,080 to Mexican facilities.

But a fourfold increase in U.S. equine exports to Mexico, fueled by a growing surplus of unwanted horses at home and a high demand for horse meat abroad, still came as a surprise to some, according to the article.

"These are just remarkable numbers and not something I think any of us would have anticipated, even with the closing of the plants," said Dr. Timothy Cordes, senior staff veterinarian for equine programs with the U.S.D.A. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

The U.S.D.A. estimated 35,000 horses were sent to Canada for slaughter in 2007, a 40% increase from the year before. Horse slaughter opponents are lobbying for the creation and passage of a Canadian version of the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act in an effort to close horse slaughter facilities in that country as well.

Welllllllll, they may get 'em closed in Canada, but not in Mexico! No how, no way...and no how, no way will horses, or anything else, be humanely slaughtered in Mexico.

The whole thing is ludicrous! What is going on in people's minds? These people opposing...are they willing to take horses into their postage stamp size back yards? He** no! Are the John Q Public horse owners willing to stop breeding horses? He** no! Hey, a little baby horse is soooo cute...until it grows up and requires attention!

Makes me sick...

Alice

Well we are sending all of our manufactoring out of country might as well send the horse slaughtering out too. I guess before it's said and done everything else will follow. :x

Alice":2b3qq0ec said:
The whole thing is ludicrous! What is going on in people's minds? These people opposing...are they willing to take horses into their postage stamp size back yards? He** no! Are the John Q Public horse owners willing to stop breeding horses? He** no! Hey, a little baby horse is soooo cute...until it grows up and requires attention!

Alice

My sentiments exactly. One of the bumper stickers on my truck says - or used to say - "If you can't feed em, don't breed em". But of course some little smart allec cut my sticker up and now it just says "Feed 'em Breed 'em".

I know a lady who was just pleased as punch the other day at the horse she bought cheap. And she's a nice bay filly. Pretty young thing. Only thing is, the lady lives in town and has no place to keep this horse. So she's kinda renting the front yard of some folks just out of town. Horse has no shelter and is in an area the size of an eighth acre. I know she's bored to tears, and I doubt anyone works with her as the lady who bought her has no stinking idea what to do.

But she goes to the Cowboy church and everyone there has a horse, so she had to get one. Has no saddle or tack, either. It is sad. I don't understand people who do this.

I would pay someone $100.00 if he would dump a truck load in the white house yard, and let them have fun feeding em. Wonder if they would killem?? Ooops, I guess that wasn't nice.

was at the horse sale a few yrs ago.old horses go to slaghter,that s just how it is.. i agree what s gonna happen now.. way worse is happening to these poor animals. myself, im am responcable owner i dont belive in "desposable pets" i do suport my local vet..{you should see my file } they are like my kids i bring them home they are my responcability to take care of them.. but some ppl see a horse .. oh just have to have it not thinking about the " non fun stuff" feeding in freezing weather, cost of grain, busting your butt in summer to feed him in winter...and if one gets sick...
had a good friend who has been very sick. he took his hosres to the market a couple months ago.. i felt so sorry for him.. he wouldnt let his horse starve as much as he loved them he had to sell them got next to nothing for them 75.00 for a great 5 yr old riding mare.. i would of took her but im maxed out here w/ all i have here.. i have a resure horse here that was in very bad shape when i got her.. jane had an old horse that was rescue horse that was almost dead from starvation took 3 yrs to get him half way back..w/ special food mix forhim because his back teeth were gone.. she had him for a bout four yrs or so.. one night he threw a clot in his lungs. we were with him did every thing we could do had the vet comeout at 1;30 in the mornig.. she gave him a shot,, and he was gone...we did all we could do for him. and he nevermissed ameal.. thats all you can do.. ppl need to see the wholepicture before getting a horse... or even breeding cause the cute... some ppl are just stupies! my two cents ! rose