Replacing Old Ritchie Waterer

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffK-MN

Reaction score
I have a old Ritchie 3E waterer with painted bowls.
I got a newer 3E with stainless steel bowls that has hardly been used.
I have made sure that it will fit right on the old concrete pad. The old waterer has a 10" culvert that needs a light bulb hanging down in the winter to stop the ice from building out from the side and freezing the water line.
I was going to put a thermal tube in but the culvert is to small. I have electricity in it also.
If you have any tips or tricks that would help. Thanks Jeff

I'd suggest getting some heat tape. You plug it in and forget about it! It has a built in thermostat and you ziptie it or duck tape it along you water line. They sell it in all different lengths. Should be able to find it at most any hardware store.

Thanks farmboy80 if I would have installed it the heat tape would have been put on. But I have to work with what is there. If I have trouble with the duct tube I can drop a heat tape down inside it. Jeff

farmboy80":2uwejru5 said:
I'd suggest getting some heat tape. You plug it in and forget about it! It has a built in thermostat and you ziptie it or duck tape it along you water line. They sell it in all different lengths. Should be able to find it at most any hardware store.
This is what we do! We have a couple different brands of waterer, all with the light bulb deal. In the fall every year, we put a new heat tape on each (and any hydrants), replace light bulbs, and put fresh gravel fill around them (a little gap with cause the cold are to leak in and freeze the whole deal up).

Latest posts