Replacing Grease Zerk on a PTO Shaft

Help Support CattleToday:

Is there an easy way to replace a grease zerk on a pto shaft? I hate greasing those joints as is, and now I need to replace a zerk on one.
Tractor end of implement end? If it's the tractor end take the pto shaft apart, put it in a vice up & down with the knuckle up so it can flip to the side. It works better if you don't have the shield on.
If it's the implement end turn shaft at an angle to the machine. That should give you as much room as possible, or take it off and put it in the vice.

And the aggravating suckers sometimes mix English and metric on the threads. I'd think a jig or tool with a small pipe or stem and a slit to at least start the fitting would be helpful. But if it is broken off then you are going to need an easy out. Been there, done that!

Either remove the shaft or swing it over to the side. If it's on the tractor end just slide the shaft apart and do it in th vice. I use pliers or vice grips since a socket won't fit in there.

Many are metric, often 5mm. Our local farm supply has them in both standard and metric.

I like a 90* fitting instead of a 45 on u joints, clock it so your grease nozzle goes between the knuckles. Half the time you can't get grease in those stupid 45s because of the angle.

Some zerks are drive in. They may look like they have threads but what looks like fine threads are just little tight ridges to help hold the zerk in. 😡 They are fine for a damaged hole but both Modern and Rhino used to use them straight from the factory. Hopefully, whatever moron came up with that idea has gone on to some other occupation.
zerk.jpg

Some zerks are drive in. They may look like they have threads but what looks like fine threads are just little tight ridges to help hold the zerk in. 😡 They are fine for a damaged hole but both Modern and Rhino used to use them straight from the factory. Hopefully, whatever moron came up with that idea has gone on to some other occupation.
View attachment 17332
If it's like half the companies out there anymore then the guy has probably been promoted by now. I strongly feel that before any person can be allowed to design machinery or parts they need to be a mechanic for a minimum of 3 years so they can see some of the headaches that the previous engineers gave the mechanics. Grenading "non serviceable" points that have no repair instructions and tucking things in stupid spots where you have to stand on your head to reach for cosmetics are aggravating.

Latest posts