Replacing a post set in concrete?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Got a gate post on the corral that is splitting. What is the best way to replace one that is set in concrete?

TennesseeTuxedo":1eyispe2 said:
Dig it up and start over I suppose.
Ok, guess I should have stated it differently. Just trying to do it without having to make a huge new hole.

If you can't pull it as is with fel. And it needs to go in same place.
Dig a post hole right beside it . then pry \pull the pier over into new ho!e. It will loosen up and should be able to be pulled out.

I have a gate post at a rent pasture that's broken off, and was set in concrete. It's a 16ft. gate. I plan to replace it with a 14ft. gate so I can just move the post over 2 feet and leave the stump and concrete.

Build a clamp from thin steel with angles and a bolt. Fill the gap with gorilla glue and glue the post back together. I have done this several times . Also always use a through hinge rod and not the ones with lag bolt threads.

There is usually no rebar in post holes. That makes the concrete easy to bust. Slam it with a sledge hammer. Pull the post and then pull the concrete slivers. The slivers make good fill when you put the new post in.

JMJ Farms":3r8anq55 said:
A chain and a front end loader.

Front buckets are awesome! I remember the days of levering one out when you couldn't get to it with the 3 point lift. Life is so much better with front buckets.

backhoeboogie":1tlu1pqs said:
JMJ Farms":1tlu1pqs said:

Front buckets are awesome! I remember the days of levering one out when you couldn't get to it with the 3 point lift. Life is so much better with front buckets.

Without the fel . You need a chain and truck or tractor wheel. Roll the wheel up to the post . Run the chain over the wheel and tie it off to bottom of post. Hook the other end to tractor or truck and pull.
You can actually pull post that you can't pull with alot of smaller fels

callmefence":brs2evst said:
backhoeboogie":brs2evst said:
JMJ Farms":brs2evst said:

Without the fel . You need a chain and truck or tractor wheel. Roll the wheel up to the post . Run the chain over the wheel and tie it off to bottom of post. Hook the other end to tractor or truck and pull.
You can actually pull post that you can't pull with alot of smaller fels

That's one to remember. Never done it that way but its worth a try. Hope I never have to LOL

Since I never throw steel away there are a couple of old wheels out there that would be perfect.

Latest posts