Replacement Sale yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

crossbredcalves

Reaction score
There was a replacement sale yesterday at our local sale barn in Charlotte, Arkansas (Northeast Arkansas).

I sold two cull cows. One was an old yellow brindle cow that was about 15 years old. She got long-toed last summer all of a sudden and was acting like she was having trouble getting around. (at least she was until I had to catch her. Then she felt fine and made a run for it.) She weighed 665 pounds and brought .22 a pound.
The other cow was a pretty good Longhorn cross cow. She was spotted but was built thicker than most LH I have seen. She was between 11 and 13 years old but mouthed as ShortSolid and checked to be in the first period. I expected her to be sold by the head, but she was sold by the pound. She weighed 850 and brought .35 a pound. Not exactly what I had hoped for but that's two less mouths to feed and more room for replacements in the future.

Dad saw some young, bred, black cows bring $1000-1100. He said some black pairs brought $1900.

A registered black Angus bull sold for $2200. A registered black Saler bull sold for $1400. Cull bulls averaged .55 a pound. I had started to sell my Santa Gertrudis bull but I am glad I didn't. His calves aren't showing too much ear and are growing good so no use selling him while he is doing the job I wanted.

There was a replacement sale yesterday at our local sale barn in Charlotte, Arkansas (Northeast Arkansas).

I sold two cull cows. One was an old yellow brindle cow that was about 15 years old. She got long-toed last summer all of a sudden and was acting like she was having trouble getting around. (at least she was until I had to catch her. Then she felt fine and made a run for it.) She weighed 665 pounds and brought .22 a pound.
The other cow was a pretty good Longhorn cross cow. She was spotted but was built thicker than most LH I have seen. She was between 11 and 13 years old but mouthed as ShortSolid and checked to be in the first period. I expected her to be sold by the head, but she was sold by the pound. She weighed 850 and brought .35 a pound. Not exactly what I had hoped for but that's two less mouths to feed and more room for replacements in the future.

Dad saw some young, bred, black cows bring $1000-1100. He said some black pairs brought $1900.

A registered black Angus bull sold for $2200. A registered black Saler bull sold for $1400. Cull bulls averaged .55 a pound. I had started to sell my Santa Gertrudis bull but I am glad I didn't. His calves aren't showing too much ear and are growing good so no use selling him while he is doing the job I wanted.

They'll be selling 200 head of black and black baldy from one herd at the Heber Springs sale barn Monday Dec.7 along with 6 black angus bulls if you know anyone looking for the take home kind.

This the season for stock cow sales. Toppenish was Tuesday last week. They had 900 head. All bred cows or pairs. Vale has their big stock cow special on Monday. And La Grande has one on Thursday. I know of 600 consigned from 3 ranches to La Grande. I am sure they will double that amount before it is over.

I went to Vale for their stock cow sale today. I don't know how many they had but sold nothing but stock cows for 3 hours. Prices not too high but not too low either. They age cows, heifers, 3, 4, 5 year old, 6, 7, 8 year old, 9, 10 year old, and broken mouth. A few top heifers at about $1,400. But more #2 heifers in the $700-900 range. The 3, 4, 5 were $1,300- $1,200. The 6,7,8's $950 - $1,100 with the majority $950-1,000. Very few of the 9, 10's they brought $95-1000. Broken mouth cows were $800 to $925 which was too rich for my budget. A 6 year old cow only being $25 more than a broken mouth cow does not make sense to me.
The last 4 times I have gone to Vale I came home with an empty trailer. I am questioning going there to their regular sale on Wednesday.

Making a deal on cull cows aside, to prevent Trich transmission in the western states bulls 18 months or older automatically get their heads cut off/can't be sold as breeding stock unless they've passed a certified trich free examination.

Feed is cheap, guys have money they don't want to pay taxes on. Lots of cows are going to change hands the next two weeks.
I think January will be soft compared to dec.

Did you go, Little Joe? Curious as to how the prices were?

They didn't finish selling feeders and start selling cows until about 7:15, I stayed until about 8. They were still selling pairs from that group when I left. They were 5-6 yr olds with couple month old black calves and were bringing 1250-1460/ pair. Nice looking cows with good bags, probably weighed in neighborhood of 1200-1300 each. The angus bulls that were brought in with them brought around 2500 each.

Watched a bred heifer and cow sale today. There was a herd dispersal of top shelf traditional coloured simmies that averaged in the neighbourhood of $2450, the rest of the sale went lower from there.
Bred heifers looked to be in the $2,000 range with the red chromey simmies leading the way again.
Canadian dollars.

Been to 3 sales that sold really nice bred commerical heifers 1 at the farm sale, one several farms brought to barn, one Uk folks culled promised were good. Cheapest seen was 1600 highest 2300 most bought in 1750-1850 range. These were for the most part pretty high end fancy heifers. All black or baldies

Been to 3 sales that sold really nice bred commerical heifers 1 at the farm sale, one several farms brought to barn, one Uk folks culled promised were good. Cheapest seen was 1600 highest 2300 most bought in 1750-1850 range. These were for the most part pretty high end fancy heifers. All black or baldies
With current calf prices where are they figuring a profit at that price? I'm not seeing it

With current calf prices where are they figuring a profit at that price? I'm not seeing it
I'm with you Kenny, I don't see how you can come out at those prices.
They were supposed to have a small herd of red milking Devon cattle at the sale I was talking about that came from the same farm as the black cattle, they pulled them from the sale at the last minute. I was a little disappointed, I was figuring I could pick them up real cheap and breed them to my ultra black and raise some good calves for cheap.

One of my neighbors sold way down. He got a full time job and is going to just run about 50 cows on the side. Everything 4 years old or older went to the sale. That was 300 head. At the sale they started with his solid mouth cows. They ran 30 into the ring and said there is 160 total of these. Buy the first 30 and you have the option to take as many of the others as you want. The guy who bought the first 30 took the next 30 at $1,500. They did it again. This time the high bid was $1,485. He took 40 or 45. Same program one more time sold for $1,475. There was 25 head left in the last draft. They sold for $1,510. I thought that was plenty for average running age black range cows.
I don't remember what his 4 year olds and spread mouth cows brought. I do remember the last 4 cows in the ring. They had his brand, his fathers brand, and the brand of the man who use to own my place (Stan). I know that Stan sold out 14 years ago. Those cows were showing their age. I am buying older cows but they were too old for me. They brought $400.

Latest posts