Replacement Holstein heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Location
springfield, mo
I have a chance to buy some small holstein heifers. I know that good milking holsteins are bringing pretty good money at the sales.I now know why most dairymen keep all there heifers. Anything in particular that I should look for? Any suggestions on raising these to breeding age? I seen in a local market report that some were listed as supreme and approved. What does this mean? I don't know much about holsteins. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm always wanting to try something new. Thanks!!!!
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
With the value of Hosteins heifers no matter what size or age, why are they for sale?
I seem to recall, "if it's too good to be true it probably is"

dun

carla":1t84wz4d said:
I have a chance to buy some small holstein heifers. I know that good milking holsteins are bringing pretty good money at the sales.I now know why most dairymen keep all there heifers. Anything in particular that I should look for? Any suggestions on raising these to breeding age? I seen in a local market report that some were listed as supreme and approved. What does this mean? I don't know much about holsteins. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm always wanting to try something new. Thanks!!!!
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
2
Location
South La
carla":3lxa16u1 said:
I have a chance to buy some small holstein heifers. I know that good milking holsteins are bringing pretty good money at the sales.I now know why most dairymen keep all there heifers. Anything in particular that I should look for? Any suggestions on raising these to breeding age? I seen in a local market report that some were listed as supreme and approved. What does this mean? I don't know much about holsteins. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm always wanting to try something new. Thanks!!!!

I agree with Dun. What is the reason that they are selling them.
Lack of labor? Space?
Both are very possible.
Check them out.
You didn't mention price.
What is their quality? Or is this what you are asking about when you ask Quote>{Anything in particular that I should look for?}
 
OP
C

carla

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Location
springfield, mo
Wasn't trying to suggest that I was getting a bargain. I believe that the guy is going to retire, therefore will not need anymore replacement heifers. I expect to pay the going rate. I mainly wanted to know if there was anything special that I needed to know raising holsteins heifers. Anything to look for as far as good quailty goes. I might also pick up a few at the local auction if I know what to look for. Thanks for your replies.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
Primarily you want to look for the obvious in the dairy environment. Average to aabove average for size for their age. Depending on their age, bangs vaccination, dehorned, extra teats removed, good solid feet and legs, and the body ideally will be more wedge shaped then a beef cow. Of course the shape is dependent on age, but feet and legs are vital at any age. DHIA records on the dam will also help to boost the price and value a bit.
The attached, although dealing with adults will also be prsent in calves, just not to as great a degree.
http://www.leblink.com/~dunmovin/structure.html
I still look for the same traits on beef heifers/cows.

dun

carla":3jholpco said:
Wasn't trying to suggest that I was getting a bargain. I believe that the guy is going to retire, therefore will not need anymore replacement heifers. I expect to pay the going rate. I mainly wanted to know if there was anything special that I needed to know raising holsteins heifers. Anything to look for as far as good quailty goes. I might also pick up a few at the local auction if I know what to look for. Thanks for your replies.
 
OP
C

carla

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Location
springfield, mo
Thankyou Dun. That was quite informative. From my little experience with holsteins, the heifers do seem to be valuable. What do the babies bring in your area. He also has some in the 200 to 400 lb range. Thanks for you help.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
6 months ago they brought around 200-400, now they're more in the 500-600 range. Even drop calf Holstein heifers will bring 300 plus. That was why I mentioned the high value in my original reply.
The attached is for a month agos dairy sale in Springfield, MO. Most prices have almost doubled since then.
http://www.springfieldlivestockmarketingcenter.com/LebanonDairyMarketReport.html
More recent sale results, but not by much
http://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/JC_LS130.txt

dun


carla":1miy1skf said:
Thankyou Dun. That was quite informative. From my little experience with holsteins, the heifers do seem to be valuable. What do the babies bring in your area. He also has some in the 200 to 400 lb range. Thanks for you help.
 
A

Anonymous

Up here 500 pound holstein heifers are bringing better than $1,000. The biggest concern I would have with buying young heifers is getting free martins. They seem to have a way of finding their way to town at that size looking for an unsuspecting buyer.

Dave
 

txag

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 23, 2003
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
0
Location
Texas
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":pix0qpd3 said:
what is free martins?

a free martin is a heifer who is a twin to a bull calf.....they're usually sterile.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
11
Location
MO Ozarks
It's actaully only a freemartin if it is sterile. If it's heifer born twin to a bull that didn't have the mixing of hormones that cause a freemartin, it s just a twin

dun

txag":1lxao82g said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr.":1lxao82g said:
what is free martins?

a free martin is a heifer who is a twin to a bull calf.....they're usually sterile.
 

Latest posts

Top