replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

TB521

Reaction score
I have a few heifers out of first timers that I was thinking about keeping if there good enough I had someone tell me they've never had one breed back after the second calf any truth to that

I usually keep away from heifers from first timers... Genetically they'd be the same as their older siblings of course, but it's rare that they haven't been a bit short changed on groceries, and they just aren't as well developed. I usually tried to stay away from linebred heifers, but this year the best of the bunch is a linebred one, kept one last year too, so the jury will be out on her... Had a couple linebred heifers before that didn't perform, and I thought it was because of that, but then when their mothers were bred to different bulls, those heifers didn't perform either. From another line I had one and she did breed back and lived to about 6 years, but never made a very good calf.
Last year the mother of this pretty heifer was a first timer, and had a heifer too, she was a really nice calf, built solid and meaty, but needed another 100 lbs.. Looks like this one has the extra weight.

I'd say if they're the same size as the rest of the heifers and you couldn't tell, their mother must be pretty darned good... If you can afford to breed them at about 18 months old, that may give them that bit of extra time they need.. it's a PITA for most people, us included, so we never keep one that would require the special attention.

i would not base keeping or selling a heifer out of a 1st calf heifer on what some1 says.i keep heifers out of 1st calvers.if they dont breed back it todo with their repro tract their body score envirment.

TB521":32mfnfgb said:
I had someone tell me they've never had one breed back after the second calf any truth to that

Ridiculous!
How many did they have...2?
They were just spreading old wives' tales.
There may be other reasons not to select replacements from heifers, but lifetime fertility is not one of them.
Dairy farmers have been doing it for generations and if it were truly a problem it would have been well documented by now.

The root problem is usually nutrition and most often affects 1st calf heifers not just the ones from heifers.

Didn't think it was true just thought I would ask if anyone else thought it was true

I kept few heifers out of first timers, and I never have any issues. One of our best cows.....is actually a heifer calf out of a first timer. That said, any heifers may have hard time of get bred back after they had a first calf, no matter whenever the mothers are out of a first timer or a 8th calver.

I have several generations of first calf heifers out of first calf heifers... not typically a problem over here...

Age of the Dam don't dictate which heifers we keep. It doesn't matter if the dam was a 2 year old, 6 year old, or a 16 year old a good heifer is a good heifer. Breeding back depends on the females fertility, the difficulty of the birth, if they are getting the right nutrition to maintain their weight, some heifers require more nutrition than others etc... Several of our best replacements have been from first calving dams.

I sold my lighter heifers today they were just under 700lb at 10 months old I think the one's I kept will be big enough

Hope she does well for you.. My weaning weights on my calves was down a little this year.. I figure the ones I kept are in the 750-800 lb range now at 9-10 months

Latest posts