replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

these longhorns arent cheap! and at least they arent inbred freaks! i have had a little experience with inbred cows bred to an unrelated bull and the calves came out wierd. one had 3 nostrils and the other had crooked legs and crooked eyes. and i dont care about the money,all i care about is the animal its self. if they dont give a big check when we they sell it doesent matter. if they did bring in a big check then fine i still could care less. my grandpa got in to this buisness because he loved longhorns, not the money and thats how i feel too. so go ahead and critisize me about it. i dont care, all i care about is my cows.

429421blkangus":1qc8cxke said:
In my above post i said it and i'll say it again, almost all of crossbreed vigor or hetrosis from baldy calves only comes from the first crossbreeding, therefor i would be looking at straight bred cows to then cross with a straight bred bull of a different breed to get baldy calves. I feel in Montana the market might be limited for longhorns, but as you already raise them you have a system in place already. Are you looking for beef animals or to sell cow calf?
would you explain why the baldies won't work?
I know there must be a fair amount of angus in the black max but they may still be fair enough removed to work. I was of the understanding that using f1 cows breed to a pure bred bull of an unrelated breed is the way to achieve max heterosis.

Latest posts