Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":24qtpgc2 said:
Oklahoma or somewhere like that wouldn't it?
Naw it was down there in that flatland Arkie country

I think I figured out why he was having a hard time breeding them hfrs

He hadn't ever seen a fence before and he thought he was in jail and had been told when you go to jail that steers are what ya breed

Red Bull Breeder":2uve44ob said:
Seen some pretty good longhorn cows. Can almost always buy them cheap and alot of them will raise a pretty good calf.

I tell you what else they are good for. I think they are prolly better than a donkey or a dog for coyotes! Plus you caint eat a donkey after you feed em out. :)

kenny thomas":977g6mok said:
Angus Cowman":977g6mok said:
awww he77 just breed em to a longhorn or corriente :cowboy:

And that's advice from a real cowboy that used a gay bull last year. :lol2: :lol2:
The bull wern't gay the cowboy just wern't used to those black boys from the delta that got the job done as soon as he got there then just laid around waiting for the feed truck.

Kingfisher":1yfs1pm5 said:
Red Bull Breeder":1yfs1pm5 said:
Seen some pretty good longhorn cows. Can almost always buy them cheap and alot of them will raise a pretty good calf.

I tell you what else they are good for. I think they are prolly better than a donkey or a dog for coyotes! Plus you caint eat a donkey after you feed em out. :)
Why not?????

Angus Cowman":37gbx2bi said:
Kingfisher":37gbx2bi said:
Red Bull Breeder":37gbx2bi said:

Why not?????

I asked my Grandfather from Italy once what their recipe for salami was in the old country and he told me "one old sow and one old donkey" I don't think he was kidding.

Ashton V":3igwyj13 said:
cattleman99":3igwyj13 said:
Simmental would give you strong maternal traits and improve the milk. They also give you the option of going black, red or traditional colouring. Fleckvieh based genetics would be my first choice. Then run a Charolais on the heifer calves to add more pounds and watch your weaning weights climb.

I personally really look to boost maternal traits in my cows. My better mama cows with stronger maternal traits wean bigger, better looking calves on average.

Then go with the Gelbvieh and do what you started to say in your first post. There is not a thing wrong with your plan.

If it is not to hot, I would use a Hereford (polled), There are some real good Limi's in or around Tulsa to pick from...

Brangus would be agood choice, or Braford ( no experience with) might make a good Baldie for you....Heat tolarence

The thing is , about any breed would make a good cross on angus, just depends on you taste/likes...

I know there is a range in individuals of any breed, but out of simmental, gelbvieh, and hereford, which breed overall would have the best maternal traits to supplement the angus breed?

Of course I would recommend Simmental - that is my breed.
But, aside from that, research has shown that the Simmental breed excels in most every trait over the other Continental breeds and Angus excels over all the other British breeds.
Crossing Cont on British gets you a great crossbred cow that will excel in maternal & carcass traits.
I posted this previously, but so many of my posts have dissappeared, I'm not sure if you read it.
I'm sure you can find a black Gv bull, but, there is a greater selection of Simmental bulls and genetics to pick from.
Just try to pick an AI GV bull - not many to choose from.
Angus & Simmental are the most popular AI bulls.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ccciota said:
But, aside from that, research has shown that the Simmental breed excels in most every trait over the other Continental breeds and Angus excels over all the other British breeds.
Crossing Cont on British gets you a great crossbred cow that will excel in maternal & carcass traits.
I posted this previously, but so many of my posts have dissappeared, I'm not sure if you read it.
I'm sure you can find a black Gv bull, but, there is a greater selection of Simmental bulls and genetics to pick from.

Thanks Jeanne. Are there any specific bulls or simmental bloodlines that you were reccomend for ai?

Ashton V":1w327lno said:
I know there is a range in individuals of any breed, but out of simmental, gelbvieh, and hereford, which breed overall would have the best maternal traits to supplement the angus breed?
any of those will work,, personally id go hereford

Ashton V":2l6swr6a said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2l6swr6a said:

Thanks Jeanne. Are there any specific bulls or simmental bloodlines that you were reccomend for ai?
There are lots of them. PM me and let me know what studs are readily available to you. Generally, ABS & Genex are around & deliver free. I would be glad to help you.

Ashton V":2r7v2g70 said:

Red Poll :)

Latest posts