Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Ashton V

Reaction score
I am actually asking this question for a friend of mine. He has a decent looking bunch of angus cows. He is a commercial operations and is now looking to cross. He wants to maximize by now crossing his angus with another breed for replacements and when he has all the cows he wants, he eventually will breed to a limo bull for terminal calves. So what his question is, Is what breed should he cross his angus cows with for good replacement heifers? When he asked me i told him if it was me i would look at a gelbvieh bull for some nice balancer replacement heifers. When they were bred to a limo bull eventually they will be some nice looking calves. What do you guys think?

Gelbvieh would be my first choice, Simmenthal second and Hereford third

Ashton V":1y3krwao said:
I am actually asking this question for a friend of mine. He has a decent looking bunch of angus cows. He is a commercial operation and is now looking to cross. He wants to maximize hybrid vigor by now crossing his angus with another breed for replacements and when he has all the cows he wants, he eventually will breed to a limo bull for terminal calves. So what his question is, Is what breed should he cross his angus cows with for good replacement heifers? When he asked me i told him if it was me i would look at a gelbvieh bull for some nice balancer replacement heifers. When they were bred to a limo bull eventually they will be some nice looking calves. What do you guys think?

Ashton V":3iphf9ys said:
Ashton V":3iphf9ys said:
I am actually asking this question for a friend of mine. He has a decent looking bunch of angus cows. He is a commercial operation and is now looking to cross. He wants to maximize hybrid vigor by now crossing his angus with another breed for replacements and when he has all the cows he wants, he eventually will breed to a limo bull for terminal calves. So what his question is, Is what breed should he cross his angus cows with for good replacement heifers? When he asked me i told him if it was me i would look at a gelbvieh bull for some nice balancer replacement heifers. When they were bred to a limo bull eventually they will be some nice looking calves. What do you guys think?

Sorry. I misspelled some stuff. But gelbvieh was my first choice too. Hereford probably my second. I like the idea of sim-angus cattle too but most people around here use em as terminals. But i dont have any experience with em.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2w4tssoh said:
Using a breed with a little ear on them would make your best replacement females in my opinion.

You thinking brangus? They do make some good mama cows.

Simmental would give you strong maternal traits and improve the milk. They also give you the option of going black, red or traditional colouring. Fleckvieh based genetics would be my first choice. Then run a Charolais on the heifer calves to add more pounds and watch your weaning weights climb.

plumber_greg":218v0fw4 said:
I'd so what dun said, if you wanted you could switch the Gelv and the Simmi. gs

That was my choice here. I'm holding back some Simangus heifers I think are going to be just fine.

fitz

cattleman99":18wriofh said:
Simmental would give you strong maternal traits and improve the milk. They also give you the option of going black, red or traditional colouring. Fleckvieh based genetics would be my first choice. Then run a Charolais on the heifer calves to add more pounds and watch your weaning weights climb.

I personally really look to boost maternal traits in my cows. My better mama cows with stronger maternal traits wean bigger, better looking calves on average.

Latest posts