Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you raise your own replacement heifers?

• I raise my own replacement heifers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I buy my replacement heifers and sell my heifer calves

• I sell most of my heifers each year, but retain a few.

• It just depends on grass, prices, etc.

• Total voters
As with all polls although you covered almost all the bases, there is sure to be one oddball that does something different.
We sell most of our heifers but retain a few. The catch is, we also will buy a heifer occasionally if one happens to really wow our socks off.

dun

We buy most of our replacment heifers, probably 75 % as we like to bring in new genetics as we raise our own herd bulls. I have a good market for herd bulls, brahman influnced cows still have some popularity in my area and along the coast.

I was talking to a guy the other day and he said that he rarely raises his own heifers for replacements because you can't depreciate them for tax purposes. He said you have to buy them to list them a asset for depreciation purposes.

Personally, we keep our own if they look especially good to us and come from our better milking mamas. When we have a little spare cash, we will buy a few to bring in some outside genetics. We know the producer who we buy from very well. He been great with us so far.

We raise all are replacement heifers and on a rare occaision buy a cow. We raise are own clean up bull, we try to ai most of the herd every year. It is hard to get quality animals that work in your manage style with EPD's in my area.

The Galveston county fair is going on this week and they have a commerical heifer sale. I come down every year to buy from the kids. This was a brillant idea by the fair years ago to have a commerical show and sale. The Kids buy or get donated a heifer to raise and compete with. The ranchers get a source of quality replacement commerical heifers. Cherokee thought of you last night when looking the calfs over one little girl had the prettiest gray brahmans I've seen. Lot of gerts this year by the kids. Going to the sale tomorrow to help the kids some kick butt F-1 Tigers this year I'll be bidding on.

Leon County also has a commercial heifer sale with our county fair. Pen on 2; Open. This year the black F1 champion pen brought over $7000. Beautiful heifers, but out of my price range. Every pen averaged over $4000. It's a great way to get some good heifers and it helps the youth. My nephew got $2150/hd for his 4th place pen. (Bred by my Dad)

We're looking for about 4-6 hd to make a couple pens for our 2 girls to show next year. My dad died in Nov., and my mom sold the 'Bremmers' (a rough bunch), so there'll be no more F1's born here. My husband doesn't like my idea of flushing the girls' top Brahman show heifers to a great Hereford bull.

Need to be fall born for a spring show. Anyone out there have some good tiger stripes? [email protected]

Prices not near as high down here average I would say is 1000 to 1200 dollar range. Pen of 3 averages about 900 a head. But most of the ranchers donate a calf back to the kids for next years project.

Dun,

I am assuming that you only retain a few because your herd is fairly well established ??? Would you retain more if you needed more replacements ?

Each year we bred cows that we feel have the properties we would like to retain to specific bulls that will sire daughters that meet our needs. If the have heifrs we will retain a few, those that are beyond our needs are sold as breeding stock for others. Those that don't make it that way just go down the road with the other calves headed to market. If we wanted to expand, we would still breed the same way but we wouldn't sell the extras either as breeders to someone else or to the feedlot.

dun

Tman":1p7tutz2 said:
Dun,

I am assuming that you only retain a few because your herd is fairly well established ??? Would you retain more if you needed more replacements ?

Campground Cattle":29w8gf4m said:
We buy most of our replacment heifers, probably 75 % as we like to bring in new genetics as we raise our own herd bulls. I have a good market for herd bulls, brahman influnced cows still have some popularity in my area and along the coast.
I prefer to keep some of my replacement heifers do to that I know what I'm raising some in a while I will buy one or two to flush for an E.T. program.

Latest posts