replacement heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Reaction score
im courious about what the pureblood breeders here are selling reg replacement heifers for.as yall know im breeding reg beefmaster cows.as well as selling replacement heifers.an im in the process of selling 2 weaned heifers for $850hd more or less.theses heifers will be sold as reg.was wondering if the price was inline.

I think it varies with the breeder, their reputation and whether or not they see the customer coming.... :eek: As far as grade heifers you are very fair. For those that can hold out to sell, and have the right market demand I would think they could almost double that price. I'm not sure what good beefmaster heifers are bringing, but I know British start at or slightly below your price, but average much more for good registered stock, and they can easily go for about $1,000 at most sales and good operations.

well you have given me some good info.an the price i sold then is a fair price.as well as a good price because these heifers are weaning heifers.an they arnt that old.

I like to look at the high market for commercial animals, "not" the average for the breed which is recorded by the breed assoc.(which is always much higher due to the outrageous prices paid for some animals at sales) Then I try to add some value for my paperwork cost (Tranfers, registrations, data reporting cost), known genetics (meaning the value of known genetic makeup/breed which is a guarantee to the buyer instead of an unknown genetic make-up without any data on the animal and it's parents), and I figure in "some" return on the cost of raising them to that age (vacs, bangs, worming, conditioning).

1848":3257cuth said:
I like to look at the high market for commercial animals, "not" the average for the breed which is recorded by the breed assoc.(which is always much higher due to the outrageous prices paid for some animals at sales) Then I try to add some value for my paperwork cost (Tranfers, registrations, data reporting cost), known genetics (meaning the value of known genetic makeup/breed which is a guarantee to the buyer instead of an unknown genetic make-up without any data on the animal and it's parents), and I figure in "some" return on the cost of raising them to that age (vacs, bangs, worming, conditioning).

1848- This is a very sensible approach to the difficult problem of pricing your produce. It is always a crap-shoot when you set a price on anything - whether it is a commodity or a service - a tangible or intangible. You have covered most of the necessary factors which enter into the formula for establishing a price of your product. And they ALL need to be taken into consideration. You can't give away your business. Goodwill is one thing, but that IS part of your business, and you must have that to be successful in the future.

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc. At least it helps give me a ball park and/or baseline.. ;-)

My commercial replacement heifers sells for marketprice + 25%.
Registered is marketprice + 50%. Registered bulls for the commercial market is also market price + 50%. If anyone want a bull I kept for own use its up to them to make me an offer.

yall are making some great points.ive factored in doing the reg an transfers.an im happy with the price.an ad to it im selling to a breeder that knows my program.an he knows why the heifers are being sold.this was a word of mouth deal anyway.didnt cost me anything to sell them.

bigbull338":2vj1btff said:
yall are making some great points.ive factored in doing the reg an transfers.an im happy with the price.an ad to it im selling to a breeder that knows my program.an he knows why the heifers are being sold.this was a word of mouth deal anyway.didnt cost me anything to sell them.

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were happy with the price. I assume the buyer is also or he wouldn't have bought them so it looks like a great transaction to me.

I just paid local market rate plus 15 % for a small (15) group of Red angus and Red baldy heifers with a pick from a group of close to 100.

Merry Christmas
Goddy

im not in beefmasters to get rich.im in it to build a good herd an a rep.an i wont sell junk to anyone.itll take me years to get my name known.an thats ok.

And that's what you have to consider when you're selling! All new breeders go through the "discovery" period when you're just getting known and getting your cattle out into other herds. And you're right.. you'll have to sell them cheaper than they probably deserve to get more of them out there. I think that's a good price.. fair and likely to get you more and repeat business.

heres something i forgot to mention. because i didnt want to sound like a blowhard.i sold the heifers to a breeder thats been breeding beefmasters for 25yrs.an he has a top herd hisself.he also knows the type of herd that im building.

bigbull338":2qnvu9zn said:
heres something i forgot to mention. because i didnt want to sound like a blowhard.i sold the heifers to a breeder thats been breeding beefmasters for 25yrs.an he has a top herd hisself.he also knows the type of herd that im building.

It certainly sounds like you are doing a few things right, my hats off to the buyer as well for supporting a new breeder. When are we going to see a few of your animals? I'd really like to hear more about the direction you are heading.

well as for the pictures.im not good at posting pics on here.but i do need to get some new pics an see what i can do.i can tell you about my breeding program.an what i want todo with the herd im building.im working towards breeding top quality herd bulls an replacement heifers.an i know it wont be easy todo that.an i also know that i have to cull the bulls an heifers hard.i wont keep a bull that wont work.because im trying to produce the very best of bulls an heifers.since im a small breeder.i have to roll the heifer sales into cows to build my herd.an i listen an learn from my friends that breed beefmasters.

Latest posts