Replacement Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH

Reaction score
Only had 6 heifers out of 20 calves last year, these pictures are from late February. All 3 are out of the first calf crop of a 936 son that we bred. Different age and bloodlines on all 3 dams. I have my favorite of the 3 but curious to see what someone on first view of them thinks

2d.jpg

16d.jpg

19d.jpg

heifers16.jpg

Thanks, yeah if I had to rank them it would be 1, 3, 2. There is about a 5 week age difference between the 1st one and the 3rd one too. Took those pictures on my phone so wish I had gotten a better one of the 2nd heifer but they are what they are.

southernultrablack":z3w8p5ko said:
I like the one in the first pic, I think she's the one on the far right in the last pic? Looks pretty deep and wide.
:nod:

Son of Butch":q4x230ex said:
1 - 2 with 3 an easy bottom for me off quick 1st impression... her goofy bug eyes really turned me off as soon as I
looked at her, but don't notice it in the group photo
Butch I even enlarged the pic of number 3 and don't see anything wrong with her eyes. But again that just proves we all see things a little differently. They all 3 should make nice cows

I don't see buggy eyes on that heifer either. May just be the angle of the picture. I looked through my phone to see if I had anything that would back your claim and even 1 she was looking right at me her eye set looked fine to me. I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Son of Butch":3kdkc2ty said:
1 - 2 with 3 an easy bottom for me off quick 1st impression... her goofy bug eyes really turned me off as soon as I
I agree with you placing, but not your reason. I don't see anything wrong with her eyes in the photo.

Nice heifers. My rankings would also be 1, 2, 3; with 1 being the clear stand out, and 2 and 3 being pretty close.

Son of Butch":159yoey3 said:

I think that what looks like goofy eyes (which I also looked at twice) is actually her white eyebrows/eyelashes.....from the angle of the picture.

farmerjan":27qnfwm4 said:
Son of Butch":27qnfwm4 said:

I think that what looks like goofy eyes (which I also looked at twice) is actually her white eyebrows/eyelashes.....from the angle of the picture.
I think you're right I didn't see anything wrong with its eyes I just thought it was the eye lashes but now that you say that I can see what he is talking about

Sob are you looking at the photos on an iPad or tablet? The reason I am asking is on my iPad the heifer does have bug eyes. Just strange, but your not imagining it I see it as well. Maybe it is a tablet issue. All three are nice heifers my first pass I had them 1,3 and 2. But I'm with SOB those eyes freak me out a bit so I'm changing to 1,2 and 3.

Gizmom

gizmom":26pldaee said:
Sob are you looking at the photos on an iPad or tablet? The reason I am asking is on my iPad the heifer does have bug eyes. Just strange, but your not imagining it I see it as well. Maybe it is a tablet issue. All three are nice heifers my first pass I had them 1,3 and 2. But I'm with SOB those eyes freak me out a bit so I'm changing to 1,2 and 3.

Gizmom
I see it on computer screen. Old school one! Anyway tho very nice heifers!

gizmom":1fytgrm6 said:

Gizmom
Gizmom I have looked at it on my I Phone and my desktop. Don't see anything wrong with the eyes. If she has a problem with her eyes I had better sell every Angus I have as not a one has any better if as good of eyes as her. With that being said I have seen a lot of bug eyed polled Herefords before and they didn't receive a second look. The eyeset on this heifer is far from what I was taught was bug eyed. Maybe there is a different interpretation in different parts of the country.

Here's another angle where she had her head turned at me. I still don't see where some think this is buggy eyed. May just be the angle of the photos with her eye lashes but I'm just not seeing it but I also have the benefit of knowing what she looks like in person too. We've had our fair share of pinkeye problems over the years with our summer pasture conditions and she is not one I would worry about eye set .

I appreciate all the feedback. I am a little surprised some like the 2nd heifer over the 3rd as much as they do as I think she is an easy 3rd of the 3. She is out of a 10 year old cow that that is a prime example of a middle of the pack cow in our herd. The first heifer is out of a first calf heifer and the third heifer is 2nd calf for that female so we're excited about the potential of those 2 cows. Of the 3 we think the 2nd heifer is the worst from her hooks to pins but the longevity of the females in her bloodline we are comfortable she will make a good cow.

19d2.jpg

The first heifer is clearly favored by everyone (except Arron who freely admitted it was color bias and I respect that)
Even as I was posting I was wondering if it might be a photo/computer screen issue as I said I saw no eye issue in the
group photo. But that 1st impression bcs of the eyes so soured me, it was more hating the 3rd heifer than liking the
second better than her.

In person observation always trumps photos.
Kind of glad it came up, if you saw it on my screen I believe you'd say whoa... and now I know my cheap old toshiba
screen probably has an issue when evaluating pictures. Maybe I'll have to revote in all of the photo contests. :)

Son of Butch":2klzipoo said:
The first heifer is clearly favored by everyone (except Arron who freely admitted it was color bias and I respect that)
Even as I was posting I was wondering if it might be a photo/computer screen issue as I said I saw no eye issue in the
group photo. But that 1st impression bcs of the eyes so soured me, it was more hating the 3rd heifer than liking the
second better than her.

In person observation always trumps photos.
Kind of glad it came up, if you saw it on my screen I believe you'd say whoa... and now I know my cheap old toshiba
screen probably has an issue when evaluating pictures. Maybe I'll have to revote in all of the photo contests. :)

Butch I respected your opinion the first time. Like I stated we all see something that someone else doesn't. That is why I've always said two sets of eyes is better than one. But I've learned from experience not to be too judgemental from pics or videos. Many times I've formed an opinion about an animal only to find out it was 180 degrees off once I saw the animal in person. I for one have no perfect animals but strive to make them better every year.

Latest posts