Replace deer with wild cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
We seem to have an overpopulation of deer around here. I'd like to shoot some, but don't like the meat. For some reason it is considered necessary to keep big herds of them around. Our local town has them wandering all over, eating up people's yards.

Anyway, I'd like to shoot some, but don't care for the meat. The crazy idea came to me to get rid of them and replace with wild cattle that would be better eating. How do you think that would work? How would they look after a few generations?

Red Bull Breeder":6l6hwmzm said:
Think i will stick with the deer. Wild cows are a pain in the butt.

Maybe just have to start with the right ones, like this one Lakeport posted - looks harmless, and small size would be easy on the lawns, and not too much damage when hit by cars. And I wouldn't have to put up an 8 foot deer fence around the garden.

littlebull.jpg

Yes Black Angus can have white on them and be reg. not much but on bag for sure....But the animal pictured above will not work and the Angus Club does not allowing breeding up like so many others do...O and not to be to smart you could use him as a herd bull on say , (Limm, Simm,etc.) and breed up from him, appx. reg. **** and boom your cows can be black to......

AS for the deer , their meat make the best jerky, nothing better.

talldog":28c1i2p6 said:
Can Angus have white on them and be registered ?????????? :cowboy:
If Gelbvieh, Simmenthal and limousin can be black why not?
White on the underside behind the navel is allowed in angus both RED and black

Off the subject of wild cows, but see if your local food bank takes the deer meat. Hunters in my area do that.

djinwa":1aevdr9s said:
We seem to have an overpopulation of deer around here. I'd like to shoot some, but don't like the meat. For some reason it is considered necessary to keep big herds of them around. Our local town has them wandering all over, eating up people's yards.

Anyway, I'd like to shoot some, but don't care for the meat. The crazy idea came to me to get rid of them and replace with wild cattle that would be better eating. How do you think that would work? How would they look after a few generations?

Where are you? Around here you don't just go out and start killing deer. Deer belong to the state and they make money selling permits to hunt deer.

Frankie":288bhnkb said:
Where are you? Around here you don't just go out and start killing deer. Deer belong to the state and they make money selling permits to hunt deer.
Around here you do. You can get free permits from the state to kill deer any time day or night if they're eating your stuff and around here if you have any stuff deer are eating it. Entire plant species are on the verge of extinction because of relentless overbrowsing by deer. I hate deer.

ga. prime":338ev5uv said:
Frankie":338ev5uv said:
Around here you do. You can get free permits from the state to kill deer any time day or night if they're eating your stuff and around here if you have any stuff deer are eating it. Entire plant species are on the verge of extinction because of relentless overbrowsing by deer. I hate deer.

Do deer eat kudzu? Or do you have that in GA?

Yes, we have kudzu and deer eat it but they can't eat what's higher than they can reach and that means about 95% of it doesn't get eaten.

kenny thomas":be9pz2bh said:
Does anywhere in the south not have Kudzu? I believe the vines across the road from my house starts in GA.
That is correct, all kudzu is connected to the same root system. So is wisteria- never let that stuff get started- it's worse than kudzu.

Latest posts