REOCCURING LIMP

Help Support CattleToday:

jandjauto

Reaction score
I HAVE A QUICK QUESTION,

WE OWN A SMALL HERD OF 17 BLACK ANGUS CATTLE.

I KEEP HAVING TROUBLE WITH ONE LIMPING.
SHE LIMPS FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS ON HER
BACK LEG, AND THEN SHE WILL GET OVER IT.
THEN A FEW MONTHS LATER SHE WILL BE
LIMPING AGAIN.
IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT TIME OF YEAR IT IS.

SHE HAS BEEN FINE ALL FALL, BUT SHE IS
LIMPING AGAIN.
SHE ACTS LIKE IT IS IN HER FOOT.
NO SIGN OF CRACK OR SORE.
AND SHE IS AROUND 6 YRS OLD.
I HAVE HER IN A SMALL LOT RIGHT NOW,
IS THERE ANY SUPPLEMENTS OR ANY
THING SPECIAL THAT I COULD
GIVE TO HELP?
THANKS
J&J

Ok, you say she does this sporadically, yet when you check nothing seems to be wrong. She may be like some of us...has a hitch in the git along that flares every now and then that doesn't go away for a long time or until we see the chiro...or, maybe not. Who knows...unless you check with a vet. Who, btw, may not have anymore idea than a man in the moon. But you'll never know until you ask.

Beefy, he/she said she's about 6 years old.

Alice

Hukt on fonicks werkt fur me.

several possibilities.
arthritis was the first that came to mine but probably not since she is so young.
foot rot left untreated can cause permanent lameness but sometimes they will get better for a while and then it will flare up again.
she may have pulled something or even have a slight fracture that flares up under certain conditions--mud, wet, cold..etc
i have one that sort of gives on her back leg when she walks for a while and then is normal for a while. i thought she hurt herself falling in a hole. but it comes and goes. dont know of any supplements you can give her.

I lean towards arthiritis. If she was heavy bred, sometimes the calf will pinch a nerve and cause a limp, but that's usually not for more then a few hours or a day or 2 at the most.
Arthtitis isn;t just amatter of years. Some animals are older at 6 then some are at 10. It's all part of the lengevity deal. Ol Granny will be 18 in the spring and she's a lot spryer then another cow that's coming 12. A couple of years ago we culled a cow that was only 10 but had arhtritis problems since she was 6-7. It just got so bad she could barely hobble around the pasture to graze.

Latest posts