Renting out goats -- a great green business idea

Help Support CattleToday:

chippie

Reaction score
http://tinyurl.com/Rent-a-Goat

...The goats don't work for peanuts,though. Owner Tammy Dunakin told me via e-mail that their average job requires a herd of 60 or 120, which costs $750 a day, usually with a three-day minimum and a setup and transportation charge of $350 to $500. They also offer a 15-head herd for $250 a day...

:shock:

Interesting sales concept. I don't think it would work here as I'm pretty confident I could get goats on the land free of charge just by saying yes. Of course I could be wrong. Never thought one could rent tomato plants at $10/month either till my buddy proved me wrong.

Jogeephus":ztgxkpq3 said:
Interesting sales concept. I don't think it would work here as I'm pretty confident I could get goats on the land free of charge just by saying yes. Of course I could be wrong. Never thought one could rent tomato plants at $10/month either till my buddy proved me wrong.

Whoa! $10/mo tomatoes? When did you tell that one? Details?
Renting goats makes me think of PT Barnum, but if there is a market someone will fill it.
Here is a church that had some trouble with a borrowed donkey. http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200912 ... ile=search

I'd go into rent-a-goat if the insurance didn't eat the profits. Most clients are not going to have fence. Think about that pairing of goats and questionable fence. If I was hired to graze Central Park, by the next morning the dang things would be on top of the Empire State Building.

john250":273lsjc2 said:
Yes, the company fences the land with electric fence. Jurassic Park comes to mind. :D

I think the Dinos would be easier to fence in than a determined goat.

john250":tsgr1fzs said:
Jogeephus":tsgr1fzs said:

Whoa! $10/mo tomatoes? When did you tell that one? Details?
Renting goats makes me think of PT Barnum, but if there is a market someone will fill it.
Here is a church that had some trouble with a borrowed donkey. http://www.vaildaily.com/article/200912 ... ile=search

I'd go into rent-a-goat if the insurance didn't eat the profits. Most clients are not going to have fence. Think about that pairing of goats and questionable fence. If I was hired to graze Central Park, by the next morning the dang things would be on top of the Empire State Building.

My buddy is a large vegetable grower and has contracts for some of the large chain stores and such. He had a lot of people pestering him for tomatoes here and there but he is set up for truckloads and not pecks. So he came up with the idea of "contract gardening" on a micro scale. I laughed at him when I first heard of this but its pretty hard to laugh when your foot is in your mouth. With just under an acre in contracted "rentals" you can do the math I think you'll agree its pretty darn lucrative.

edit - John, pm me with your "math" and I'll tell you if you are close.

Latest posts