Renting a house for the first time ... advice needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Alice":2th22u8c said:
Lammie,

Part of my failure as a landlord was continuing to look for the good in people when their lack of respect for me and my property was staring me right in the face.

I can't cite the particular instances that caused me grief as a landlord...because it still upsets me and angers me beyond belief...and causes me such disappointment.

Alice

That is exactly how I feel. I couldn't even go to the house without getting so mad I shook. Like the time the tenant called to remind me that the rent was due, and that he had no intention of paying it. He actually called me to tell me that.

It will make you lose trust in anyone. I don't know what's worse, getting walked on or allowing it to happen.

I'll never do it again. I'm glad there are good landlords out there. I tried to be one but I learned that adults who will otherwise behave in an adult manner will destroy someone else's property because they can.

Lammie,

Don't worry, I wasn't offended. Judging from your past posts, I'm sure you didn't mean what you said, except maybe as it applies to your former tenants. Having never owned any rental property, I was never in your shoes, but I can understand your resentment. I did do a lot of renting in my younger days, though, and always paid the rent on time and took responsibilty for my actions. I was lucky enough to have good landlords, too. I was thankful for that.

P.S. Didn't mean to imply that you weren't a good landlord. I'm sure you were. Just in a rambling mood tonight. ;-)

Certainly no offense taken, Van. I thought I was a good landlord and I think my mistake was thinking that people who rented my house would take care of it like I took care of rental properties I had lived in when I was younger. I was never late with rent and I tried to leave the place like I found it. It just didn't occur to me to stop paying or to destroy the place.

Suffice it to say you really can't believe the damage the last renters did, and in the span of three months, which is as long as they lived there. The only reason the finally moved is because their electricity was turned off. He was a welder on the gas wells, too. He made good money. I verified his employment. They were just trashy people, I guess. I also think that he was on meth. You know, when they take all the light switches out of the walls, take out the tub surround, board up the windows from the inside... That aint normal behavior and I am told that they will do that.

My career took me all over the country. I rented 16 different time. All 16 times I receieved 100% deposit back.

Some people tell me they have never gotten back a deposit. That always told me something.

Simple things... (and no we don't rent any more either and glad to be rid of it)

- all utilities that can lien your property stay and get paid by you (or potentially you pay them and haven't planned on it)

- have a clause for maintenance and upkeep of the place for cleanliness on the inside and landscaping on the outside that if not done to your satisfaction you will hire the help to do it and increase the rent acccordingly

- rent is due when rent is due at 5:00 p.m., late payment charges apply at 5:01 p.m., interest charges begin at _____

- you cover insurance on the property only and no insurance for renters "contents" inside the house

- spell out how often you will re-paint, re-carpet (once every 5 years, etc.)

- security deposit (in the minimum amount of 1 months rent) and first months rent prior to getting keys

- consider a P.O. Box... no need for renters to know your residence address

Lammie":cwmafqzb said:
Sorry if I offended.

You didn't offend me Lammie, although I was very surprised by your blanket statement. I honestly do not believe all people are idiots, nor do I believe everyone lies or is looking to rip someone off, but I very much appreciate you taking the time to explain, it helped me to understand where you were coming from. :)

I appreciate all your info. Gave me a lot to consider and a lot to fear. Have found a family who is relocating to the base here from Norway. They have four children. They are really excited since each will have their own bedroom. I hope this will be a win/win deal for the both of us. I do feel much better renting to an established family. Maybe they will make our house their home.

Jogeephus":1cjc77wg said:
I appreciate all your info. Gave me a lot to consider and a lot to fear. Have found a family who is relocating to the base here from Norway. They have four children. They are really excited since each will have their own bedroom. I hope this will be a win/win deal for the both of us. I do feel much better renting to an established family. Maybe they will make our house their home.

Did you get the book we talked about?

Wewild":26yu0b0v said:
Jogeephus":26yu0b0v said:

Sure did. Got it on the table. Came with two discs also with all kinds of stuff in it. Presently working on a lease and a checklist for both our sakes. Most problems I see are when things are assumed. I want to avoid this. Thanks again.

Jogeephus":2nucpp97 said:
Wewild":2nucpp97 said:
Jogeephus":2nucpp97 said:

Sure did. Got it on the table. Came with two discs also with all kinds of stuff in it. Presently working on a lease and a checklist for both our sakes. Most problems I see are when things are assumed. I want to avoid this. Thanks again.

I tried the manager thing but never saw the value in it. The blue envolopes self adressed .... i never tried. I believe in the discount rent.

I'm sure it will be OK. Take no pity.

Jogeephus":3edqzytt said:

I hope everything turns out great. There are nice folks out there. Even I can appreciate that. :p I just didn't have much luck.