renting a bull. I have a few quick questions

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
Im planning on renting a bull on march 30th through may 14th (45 days). If my heifers come in heat consistently then they should be in the day I bring the bull in. So my question is would y'all go ahead and just let nature take it's course or give the heifers a shot to make sure they come in heat about the time he arrives. My logic behind doing this would be to make sure they come in heat as many times as possible while he is there. I only have 4 heifers so he may only need a month what do yall think?

Bring the bull in a week before They cycle. Let nature be natural and pull the bull at 60 days

wouldnt think they will all be in the day you bring the bull. if you want to tighten up when they come in give them a shot of lute day before bull arrives it will help part of them cycle probably not all. If you go that route put a patch on them and you will know if they come in, if you can get them to cycle in the first few days 45 days will be enough should give you around 3 cycles if they dont come in early id do like hook said and leave him 60 days.

2 things that haven;t been covered, #1 is a BSE (Breeding Soundness Exam), #2 if he isn;t a virgin a trich test to just insure your cow herd stays clean.

Red Bull Breeder":1urp05bu said:
About the time you are wanting to pull the bull would be when i would be putting him in.
I agree.......You will be looking at calving Jan. 1 thru Feb......we have generally mild winters here however, we do have the occasional arctic blast. I had 3 born yesterday that are fine but I would rather they be a couple of weeks later. This year the bull in going in about June 1st.

dun":33sj5w89 said:
2 things that haven;t been covered, #1 is a BSE (Breeding Soundness Exam), #2 if he isn;t a virgin a trich test to just insure your cow herd stays clean.

Agreed.
Absolutely critical.

Latest posts