Rent-a-Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
My responce to the "Bull" post got me thinking. What are your thoughts on rent-a-bulls? Can you get a good one? Are they over worked?

I use rent-a-bulls every year. Virgin bulls, for $350 a head for a 90 breeding period. I use them as clean up on the heifers after AI, and on my 2nd calvers as clean up. Then they go to the old girls pasture, as I don't AI them. The guy I rent from usually buys 2 pot loads from a good breeder, then after he gathers them all back up, he ships and sells them in Florida. They have had all their shots, are registered, semen tested, poured, and fly tags when I get them. It works great for me, as I don't need to feed a pen of bulls through winter, and I get new bloodlines every year. And if one gets injured, I take him back and trade him in.

In South Dakoata they are really trying to stop the rents. The sexual disease Trick broke out last year and spread like a wild fire.
I raise bulls to sell so naturally don't like the idea of renting. It is getting to the point that you need high quality feeder cattle to make any money and ussually, not always, but ussually the bulls that are rented out, are bulls that are picked up cheap from someones tail end of the sale. That isn't going to get you top quality feeder cattle.

Why would a herd owner not demand that the bull he/she was considering renting be tested for trich, brucellosis, and all the rest of the STD's before accepting the bull? I don't understand.

S.R.R

I.M.H.O...Renting virgin bulls can work provided you can find a reputable breeder to work with and you have some sort of written agreement to deal with non breeders, dead or injured bulls.

At least if you rent your bulls, you won,t need to have them around all yr or upkeep bull pens

We raise and sell about 100 Registered bulls a year. These bulls are top quality, A.I.ed or out of A.I. herd sires, EPDs, wormed and cared for properly. On occassion we get a client that would rather rent a bull for about a 90 day period. It works out great for both us and our clients. We have a good contract with the renter and agree on a price the bull is worth at the time he leaves our property, so if he ends up dead or unable to use the renter has to pay that value. We also state that if the bull loses more that a certain amount of weight the renter pays per pound loss. We have never had a problem yet. The bulls are fertility tested and in good shape when they leave our pasture and come back in decent shape to regain weight to be sold later that year. People that buy our rented bulls are just as happy as they would have been if they had never been rented. We also check references for the clients herd, for disease purposes and up keep on their herds. Its not a bad deal if everyone is honest and forward. Just remember there is always a bad apple there to spoil all the others, so keep you eye out for it.

Latest posts