rent a bull versus buying a bull

Help Support CattleToday:

uplandnut

Reaction score
I am planning on keeping my bull for one more year and then replacing him, which got me wondering if renting a bull would be a better option for me going forward? I like the idea that I can retain any heifers I want to and that I don't have to have a bull around for the 8-9 months I don't need him. I can get at least 3 years of different genetics for the price of buying one bull. Anyone else make the same kind of switch and what kinds of things should a person be asking/looking for when going with this approach?

I rented last year, one year lease was 1300 which is 1/3 the bull purchase price. If you can get more than 3 seasons out of a bull you're better off buying.

Rafter there are a fair number of bulls for rent in my area, I cannot speak to the quality of them but they are available. Shaz, seems like most rents here are based off a monthly rate rather than yearly. Figured I could rent one for 3-4 months and send him home. Bulls are selling for 2k to 3500k in my area right now and I figured I could rent for $200 a month and have different genetics for three years compared to one bull. I also save the cost of feeding him through the winter for three years
My thought process for this is that I could retain the heifers that make the "cut" every year and just sell the older cows as bred cows in the spring. This would let me stay at about 20 head and keep younger cattle in the pasture. Theory being that younger cattle maintain condition better through the winter and on less hay consumption?

I am curious about your figure of $200 a month. What quality do you expect to find for that price? Without getting too specific here, I will say that I wouldn't put one of my boys on the trailer for a $200 a month lease....

Boot Jack Bulls":4ffja09c said:
I am curious about your figure of $200 a month. What quality do you expect to find for that price? Without getting too specific here, I will say that I wouldn't put one of my boys on the trailer for a $200 a month lease....

I live in North Texas. That is what I see bull rentals being advertised for. I have seen registered Hereford, Charolais, and Brangus advertised at $200 a month. Some require a two-month minimum rental.

I think it would be easiest to buy a yearling registered bull, use the bull until all cows are bred, and then sell the bull for a profit. The next year the process could be repeated.

Boot Jack Bulls I have not looked into the idea of renting a bull to it's fullest extent but I see a range from 100 to 250 a month on craigslist, what is your average rate? Bullitt I like the idea of having my own but I'm not sure I would turn a profit on him if I sell him in October up here in WI most I see that time of year are being sold for under a $1 a pound and yearlings are anywhere from 2k and up for decent ones. If I want to keep him until spring I might make a few bucks on him, maybe.

Upland, I'm not going to say here what the rate on my boys is. What I will say is, be careful of who you lease/rent from. I stand behind my stock, but there are those out there who do leases as a way to make a quick few bucks, and they may not. Make sure you have a well-written contract that protects you and the owner, and be clear what the expectations are on both sides.

Last bull I used was a rented bull, $50 per cow for 45 days, he covered them all........ STD's never left my mind.

I thought I would rent one "once". BTO advertised Angus with a long history. Drove by and I couldn't see the bull for the horn flies. Wanted $450 for 30 days. I kept my money.

Latest posts