Renown x Raindance?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bar23

Reaction score
Wanting to use SAV Raindance on my heifers. 5 of them are Renown daughters . Both grand dams are 4136. Would this work or be a risk ? Thanks.

I don't see any issues. Those should be some really nice heifers. Are you using sexed semen from ST Genetics?

We have Raindance daughters on the ground, and they are very nice!

Yes sexed semen on the heifers. President on the cows.

Bar23 said:
Yes sexed semen on the heifers. President on the cows.

I think that combination has worked really well. I've seen pictures of similar breeding at Schaff and Mconnell Angus that produced great results. High seller at Mconnell was lot 1(President x Resource/Renown full sister)

We've been getting our first Raindance and President ET calves this week. So far they have come lighter than expected.

Raindance x ( Flush sister to Resource/ Renown) at Schaff last spring

Being flush brothers , how much difference are you seeing between President and Raindance calves ?

I believe, if I remember correctly, there are several examples of this cross in the Schaff Angus Valley catalog for their upcoming production sale on Feb. 9. Everyone loves 4136!

We just started calving, our due date is the 5th. Obviously the early ones will be lighter, also most were sexed for heifers.
They have been in the 70's to low 80's. Out of the Recip cows. Not a big enough sample to compare yet. But Kelly said that Raindance are lighter BW on average and that would correspond with their current EPD's.
We are pretty excited for both.
President was the standout to me on sale day. But looks like the EPD numbers are favoring Raindance so far.

I have a few Raindance,there nice.
This thread made me look them up and see how there doing.
Raindance has passed President on production numbers, with Rainfall being the heifer bull.
Reign, Rainmaster, and Governor very close to Rainfall. Interesting looking these bulls back up, Raindance may have been a deal, at least for now.

When I called ST Last week they said they have male sexed semen for Raindance also. Would be nice to have a bull to sell to pay for some feed.

This photo was taken yesterday of one of our SAV President sons out of a Stone Gate Edella cow. He is 145 days old in this photo. I have not weighed him, but he's packing it on, no creep feeding either.

The President calves are not hype, they are the real deal.

Maybe I should use different bulls. If they look like that I won't want to sell them. Lol

Bar23 said:
Maybe I should use different bulls. If they look like that I won't want to sell them. Lol

That photo wasn't the best, he's even better in person. I will get some photos soon of the new Raindance calves that we just had.

Thanks for the compliment, that made my day!

We have Reign calves on the ground that are pretty sporty. We will have both Rainfall and Raindance next year as well as more Reign. I will be honest the Reign are going to be hard to beat but it will be interesting to see the differences. I am sure there will be some, we have used Recharge, Resource and Renown we like all three but they are different.

Gizmom

gizmom said:
We have Reign calves on the ground that are pretty sporty. We will have both Rainfall and Raindance next year as well as more Reign. I will be honest the Reign are going to be hard to beat but it will be interesting to see the differences. I am sure there will be some, we have used Recharge, Resource and Renown we like all three but they are different.

Gizmom

Can you tell a difference on the frame size of resource and renown offspring? Genex has resource as a 5.5 mature frame, and renown at a 6.0. My Renown calves are just yearlings, boy am I pleased with them so far

The Renown are definitely bigger framed than the Resource calves, not by a bunch but more frame on both Renown and Recharge than I see in Resource. That being said we have three clean up bulls working right now a Resource a Recharge and a Renoun, I hadn't even thought about that until replying to this post, I guess I really do like all three lol.

Edited to add I think at this point the best calves we have on the ground are out of our D45 clean up bull. He is a Resource the calves are really nice, and I am comparing them to AI sired and ET calves so when I say they are the best calves we have I confess I am a bit surprised that I am actually saying it.

Gizmom