renovating pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

DustyH

Reaction score
I have a 6 acre field planted in Cheyenne bermuda. It was planted 4 years ago and we cut hay on it and grazed rotationally since then. This past year it was neglected due to me being gone too much. This year I done a soil sample and got all that fixed, but I have areas that are still thin. I am planning on cutting hay off of it in a week or as soon as the rain passes. The question is is it too late to lightly disk it after I cut and bale? Would this do any good? I also have another acre that I cleared off and was thinking of cutting some tops of the Cheyenne and sprigging them on this area, Has anyone ever tried this with Cheyenne?

I pulled a shank type renovator over our Vaughn bermuda a few weeks ago after getting the hay off and just before putting out fertilizer. I can't say whether or not it really helped but I know it didn't hurt anything. Have heard that Bermuda grass likes having it's roots cut every now and then. Now to figure out what to do about the Johnson Grass that in getting started in it.

Can't really answer your question but here is something you might consider. If you got a harrow with scallop discs on it you can turn the discs as straight as possible and run this across the bermuda field about the time you can plant ryegrass in you area. Then sow the ryegrass. This will aerate the soil to some extent, cut the roots some and give you grazing later. I've done this before and it seemed to work out really well from several angles. Just offering food for thought.

Jogeephus":3cfz1cr4 said:
Can't really answer your question but here is something you might consider. If you got a harrow with scallop discs on it you can turn the discs as straight as possible and run this across the bermuda field about the time you can plant ryegrass in you area. Then sow the ryegrass. This will aerate the soil to some extent, cut the roots some and give you grazing later. I've done this before and it seemed to work out really well from several angles. Just offering food for thought.

Well said !!! :tiphat:

I agree with Jo. Cutting the bermuda with discs is the way to go. It seems like the renovator will pull the runners up possibly causing them to dry out and die rather than stimulate growth. I have used a no till and have seen no benefit to the bermuda the following spring. Sure like your idea of using discs it in the fall asociated with planting.

ERNIBIGB":2ic24tux said:
I pulled a shank type renovator over our Vaughn bermuda a few weeks ago after getting the hay off and just before putting out fertilizer. I can't say whether or not it really helped but I know it didn't hurt anything. Have heard that Bermuda grass likes having it's roots cut every now and then. Now to figure out what to do about the Johnson Grass that in getting started in it.

Johnson Grass in bermuda - after baling hay spray OUST @ 1.5 oz per acre in 20 gallons of water .
OUST will kill everything in your pasture except Bermuda grass

edrsimms said:
"OUST will kill everything in your pasture except Bermuda grass"

Not to hi-jack the thread, but is there anything that will kill the common bermuda grass and not the fescue?

10-e-c-dirtfarmer":1nl6vsof said:
edrsimms said:
"OUST will kill everything in your pasture except Bermuda grass"

Not to hi-jack the thread, but is there anything that will kill the common bermuda grass and not the fescue?
I don't think so.

Is it strictly a hay field? If its only a hay field and you are done with it for the year, I wouldn't think it won't hurt to disk it when ever.

I never understood the light disking deal. If I am going to disk it I am going to roll that dirt... light disking sound like a waist of time and money. I am probably missing some thing though. :?

Brute 23":124ovove said:
Is it strictly a hay field? If its only a hay field and you are done with it for the year, I wouldn't think it won't hurt to disk it when ever.

I never understood the light disking deal. If I am going to disk it I am going to roll that dirt... light disking sound like a waist of time and money. I am probably missing some thing though. :?

In my minds eye I'm envisioning what he said was a neglected field with a few weak spots. In a situation like this, I can't see turning the whole field under as this would take longer to become productive again. Light discing in a situation like this will partially do some improvements to the field but most importantly - in my opinion - keep the field productive while buying time for the bare spots to fill in. But if its really bad, I might be tempted to kill the whole thing, turn it and start over especially if its one of those fields that you will chip your teeth if you drive across it.

I wonder if just drawing a toothed harrow acrossed it wouldn;t help. Get rid of some of the thatch and stimulate the plants to grow better from the stolons being torn up some.

DustyH":3aknwpj3 said:
I have a 6 acre field planted in Cheyenne bermuda. It was planted 4 years ago and we cut hay on it and grazed rotationally since then. This past year it was neglected due to me being gone too much. This year I done a soil sample and got all that fixed, but I have areas that are still thin. I am planning on cutting hay off of it in a week or as soon as the rain passes. The question is is it too late to lightly disk it after I cut and bale? Would this do any good? I also have another acre that I cleared off and was thinking of cutting some tops of the Cheyenne and sprigging them on this area, Has anyone ever tried this with Cheyenne?

As to the 6 acres, I would lightly disc it so as not to expose the roots too badly to this intense heat were getting, which would dry them out. If you can do it before an oncoming rain, so much the better! WIth the soil ammendments you made, it should jump back up.

If Cheyenne has nodes on the stems (tops), planting the tops should work.

Thats why I asked if its just a hay field and he is done with it for the year... no production lost. Just wait till the first good rain and roll it while its raining or immediatly after. Like said in another post the biggest problem right now is tearing stuff up with no moisture and burning it. That should replant it and open the ground up.

I also have a grass coming up in spots that look dark green with broad blades on it. Seems to be creeping everywhere. Will "oust" kill this out? Is oust safe for grazing and hay production?

DustyH":2j9d054w said:
I also have a grass coming up in spots that look dark green with broad blades on it. Seems to be creeping everywhere. Will "oust" kill this out? Is oust safe for grazing and hay production?

Before you can effectively use any herbicide you need to have a clear understanding of what you are trying to kill. Once identified, you need to find a herbicide that you can LEGALLY use to control the pest and NOT harm your crop. I think you would be well served to contact your extension agent in this matter so you can get some sound advice.

DustyH":10sr1inb said:

Here's a link that might help out: Check out page 4:

http://sanangelo.tamu.edu/agronomy/news ... g/E179.pdf

Latest posts