Rendering Lard

Help Support CattleToday:

yea I don't really need a lot of lard though just maybe 2 quarts a year and it would be good which is why I haven't bought a huge pot from agri supply. I have some of those dutch oven pots would that be ok?

skyhightree1":3fgls1zz said:
Has anyone ever rendered lard in a crock pot before ? Let me know what you have used or seen done.
You will be frying the fat pieces and fat until it is cracklings and the grease is left. I don't think the crock pot will get hot enough. Any deep pan on the stove should work.

There's a hundred videos on youtube showing you how to do it on the stovetop or in a crockpot. I looked at one where a woman did it on the stovetop using the fat from around the kidneys and said it was better than fat off the back or belly. I think she called it leaf fat. Interesting video.

hurleyjd":1eog8m8t said:
skyhightree1":1eog8m8t said:
Has anyone ever rendered lard in a crock pot before ? Let me know what you have used or seen done.
You will be frying the fat pieces and fat until it is cracklings and the grease is left. I don't think the crock pot will get hot enough. Any deep pan on the stove should work.

ga.prime":1eog8m8t said:
There's a hundred videos on youtube showing you how to do it on the stovetop or in a crockpot. I looked at one where a woman did it on the stovetop using the fat from around the kidneys and said it was better than fat off the back or belly. I think she called it leaf fat. Interesting video.

I didn't even think about youtube... Yea I have my turkey deep frying pot I can use.

ga.prime":34y1bc9w said:

That's the tallow fat. My wife used to hunt that down when she was making soap.

You need to find an old lard press and squeeze every drop out of the fat and save the cracklings. Cornbread with cracklings in it is good stuff.

Jogeephus":1rub9vlu said:
You need to find an old lard press and squeeze every drop out of the fat and save the cracklings. Cornbread with cracklings in it is good stuff.

I have a sausage press will that work?

skyhightree1":2nsdvfqr said:
Jogeephus":2nsdvfqr said:

Lard press would be much better since it has a screen plate or a screen basket to keep the meat from going out the tube but you might be able to fashion some sort of filter or screen in the bottom of it and accomplish the same thing.

Hope you don't render in your kitchen....house will smell like lard for months.....I can smell it from here. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Jogeephus":a6rtjlv9 said:
skyhightree1":a6rtjlv9 said:
Jogeephus":a6rtjlv9 said:

Lard press would be much better since it has a screen plate or a screen basket to keep the meat from going out the tube but you might be able to fashion some sort of filter or screen in the bottom of it and accomplish the same thing.

We just put a cotton pillow case or cotton bag in the lard press to hold the cracklings. The liquid goes out as fast as you can dip. When it is full of the cooked fat chunks we just fold over the bag and crank down the press. It stops any of the fines from going into the lard. :nod:

ps We always put one of the true loins in the kettle with the lard for a snack!! Sliced on the stirring paddle it is a treat.

1982vett":2ae62i9r said:
Hope you don't render in your kitchen....house will smell like lard for months.....I can smell it from here. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Surely it's no worse than chitlins or hog maws

Rendering lard might not smell worse than those, but the smell permeates everything in the kitchen and stays there for weeks. My grandmother used to do it.
Wallpaper in her house smelled like hog grease for months.

skyhightree1":1dtbggzj said:
1982vett":1dtbggzj said:

You probably have a point their......

1982vett":2zexk92o said:
skyhightree1":2zexk92o said:
1982vett":2zexk92o said:

You probably have a point their......

You ever ate any of those?

greybeard":3jf6gbz9 said:
Rendering lard might not smell worse than those, but the smell permeates everything in the kitchen and stays there for weeks. My grandmother used to do it.
Wallpaper in her house smelled like hog grease for months.

Lol may get a hot plate and cook it outside in the shop