Removing Steel Roofing ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I now am the owner of another set of farm buildings. Half need to be torn down, and the others need repair. One tear down has newer steel roofing nailed over cedar shakes. What is the best way to pull the nails and save the steel for reuse?

I took The claw of one hammer and beat it under with another hammer then pop the nail out. You get some dings but overall it works well.

After the tornado blew down our hay barn (2 years old) we couln't hire anyone willing to do the work of cleanup. The 2 tools in the pics made fairly short work out of salvaging the tine thast wasn;t bent beyong use by the winds. When pulling the nails it helps to use a piece of 1 by to get leverage and not dent the tin.
nippers.jpg
nail-puller.jpg

highgrit":ukmub5lk said:
The 1x4 is the ticket to keep it from denting.
Also gives you more leverage so a 5 foot 95 lb woman can pull the nails too

LRTX1":qzcb78my said:
dun":qzcb78my said:
highgrit":qzcb78my said:

I always pegged you as a grouchy old man. :hide:

Well now you've gone and done it :help: . Outed Dun. :shock: Hope yer happy! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

dun":1p9xl1v9 said:
highgrit":1p9xl1v9 said:

That's a good selection given that the building is about to fall down and you don't want much weight up top! But, you have to time it right to catch that kind a labor when the circus is in town. What did those little people charge? Now, if you could go Amish 5 foot 95 lbs, you'd really be onto something!

Here in Cali we just tell some tweek scrappers where there is steel and they will have it torn down like vultures in no time flat..... Do a search for indolux Modesto ca. Tweaks are amazing when they put their mind to it lol

Bought some used roofing off of an old barn, that guy used a 4" grinder and cut the heads off of the nails.

Farmerjon":7gqzxan3 said:
Bought some used roofing off of an old barn, that guy used a 4" grinder and cut the heads off of the nails.
What about the nails left in the wood. We pulled them and sold the lumber along with the tin.

Bought a couple different nippers and tried pinching off the nail heads.
Worked well with the 10" Channel Lock brand, but the other nippers were junk.
The steel was nailed into old cedar shakes - - so you could pull the nails or cut their heads off using a good nipper.

Stocker Steve

Do you intend to reuse the wood? If not I suggest the following. I assume you have a small air compressor or have access to one. Get one of the cheap small air chisels equipped with a punch. Grind the punch to the diameter of the nail head. Simply place the punch on the nail head and give the trigger a brief pull and it will drive the nail through the roofing metal. You can do this far faster than you may imagine. With the heads driven below the sheeting surface you can then simply lift the sheets off. Use an oversize screw with gasket, yes those are made, to reuse the roofing. If you lay the lathing strips out on the same pattern as original then you can reused the existing holes. Once painted the siding will appear as new. I dismantled a commercial chicken house by myself and salvaged all the roof sheeting. I also reused the 2 x wood but I used a flooring saw blade that could handle some nails.

Got mine from Grainger. You can search for them online to find out who sells them in your area. Talked my dad into getting a pair, he swears by them also.

Metal roofing is installed in one of two ways: it is fastened with nails or screws. In order to remove metal roofing from a roof after it has been installed, you will need several tools to make the job go quickly. A screw gun with a driver bit, a flat bar and a hammer will suffice in the removal of most roofing metals.

Take a set of cheap nippers put a notch in the cutting edges for the nail to fit in. Then weld a slide hammer onto one of the handles. Then you can grab the nail, and pull the slide to pop the nail out.

I took The claw of one hammer and beat it under with another hammer then pop the nail out. You get some dings but overall it works well.
Use Cation striking on hammer with another My Dad drove a chipped piece of the hammer face into his hand years ago .

Latest posts