Removing Scurs/NEW PICTURES/SHOW RESULTS

Help Support CattleToday:

Got both the steers clipped this weekend. This was my first time clipping (the entire steer), but I think they look good. I will try and post some pictures later tonight or tomorrow morning. Clipping the head turned out to be no big deal! Both steers loved being clipped, and did not fight at all doing the head. I did the head last with #15 blades-using Andis 2 speed clippers, but they seemed to enjoy it. Our past steers never seemed to like the head being clipped-but someone else was doing it.
If anyone is interested in learning to clip, I would suggest getting the clipping/fitting video from Purina Show Chow with Kirk Stierwalt. He tells you step by step which areas to clip and what blades to use. I watched to video 5-6 times before trying, and I think they turned out great. I use to pay to get the steers done, not anymore!!! Plus I really enjoyed it, and the kids think its cool that dad can clip and now they are watching and learning.

Hope these pics post. Here goes!
steer_002.jpg

steer_007.jpg

steer_014.jpg

steer_016.jpg

steer_017.jpg

black steer is one be nice of a steer. lovely muscle expression. The shorty isnt as heavily muscled as the black and looks to be a middle of the road type steer. I'm guessing it was the shorty that was dehorned?

You can see that you guys are really taking good care of them :clap: :D and that the kids are having fun, and that is what really matters!

Good luck and have fun, keep us updated!

The black steer is the one that was dehorned. Your right on about the black steer being more muscled. The pictures really don't do him justice, he looks a whole lot better in person. The pictures are a little fuzzey, I can't seem to get the camara to take better pictures while inside.
Hopefully I will have better pictures from the show next weekend.
Thanks for the comments.

tobytonya, since you are relatively new here I will just say take the responses you get with a grain of salt ;-)

The steers look good - and it is ridiculous to spend 250 when 25 will do - the black steer is not going to be placed down because he was scooped rather than surgically dehorned :roll:

I know US judges look for vastly different things than Aussie judges, but I can tell you that black steer would do well in our ring.

The shorty is not a bad steer - he just needs a lot longer to grow out than the black steer. I can tell your son is a first timer - but he looks like he is doing a great job, and he seems to have that steer cooperating with him - AND look at that great big grin on his face! Thats what its all about.

Your daughter looks like she has done this ALOT :D looks like she is a natural showman.

Keep us updated!

If your vet is charging $250 for surgical dehorning I would find a new vet.

Keren":24urazkf said:
tobytonya, since you are relatively new here I will just say take the responses you get with a grain of salt ;-)

The steers look good - and it is ridiculous to spend 250 when 25 will do - the black steer is not going to be placed down because he was scooped rather than surgically dehorned :roll:
I know US judges look for vastly different things than Aussie judges, but I can tell you that black steer would do well in our ring.

The shorty is not a bad steer - he just needs a lot longer to grow out than the black steer. I can tell your son is a first timer - but he looks like he is doing a great job, and he seems to have that steer cooperating with him - AND look at that great big grin on his face! Thats what its all about.

Your daughter looks like she has done this ALOT :D looks like she is a natural showman.

Keep us updated!

Keren- I do so agree.....

I also really like the black calf; I think you will do quite well with him. I wish you the best of luck. :D

On the poll reshaping topic, this is illegal in some breed associations. Though I don't think this would be a big deal with steers, (unless they are registered) novices should consult breed/show rules before blindly listening to someone claiming to be an expert online.....

Michigan Winter Beef Show
The show went OK, but we were a little disappointed. My daughters black steer got 6th out of 10. She was hoping for at least 3rd. A few people approached me after the show and pointed out the rear of the steer looked rounded, and needed to be more square. It was my first clip job, so live and learn. I thanked them for their comments; they all stated the steer was at least 3rd place, but probably 2nd with a better clip job on the steers topline and rear hip.
My sons shorthorn was 7th out of 10. He was in a really tough class. It was his first show and he was really nervous. The steer did OK for him but was a little worked up entering the ring and the steer behind him kept trying to mount. I was really proud of him, he did not let the steer go, and didn't get dragged-but it was close!! He never got the steer setup, but he is so proud of himself. He keeps asking when the next show is.

This judge really like the "Clubby" claves. I tend to like a steer that is balanced, not so short and stout. Some of the calves looked a little freaky!

congrats on your show. and i know how your son felt about the whole mounting deal. when i was 9 my steer was the one mounting the other one. but at least they had fun thats what really matters!