Removing sale barn tags & glue?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ether(starting fluid) works wonders. It is what most traders use. Spray on and let set a minute and remove tag slowly. Then take medal curry comb and remove leftover glue. Also works on paint.

Thanks for the replies. Have used WD40 and not real impressed. Will try the ether.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again.

I have seen pictures of cattle for sale on craigs list, they don't even remove the sale tags they stand out in the pictures, and some of the prices they put on them , way over market value.

tom4018":26vnexe8 said:
Never tried it before but was told that WD-40 does good.

Seen the old Panther Pi$$ and curry comb trick at many a sale barn. Alot of short solid mouth cows bred 3 and 4 months magically became 5 year olds bred 5 and 6.

The citrus cleaners and petroleum cleaners will all work, however they are very expensive. I have found the easiest and cheapest way is to use plain gas. Just spray on the gas and it eats the glue and then curry comb off. If you try to pull the tag off, it can rip off the hair and leave mark that is visible.

Texas PaPaw

I would think after a period of time they would wear off on there own. Why worry about the tag? Are you concerned they will ingest the tag and fall ill?

Bought a really good Holstein a long time ago that was booked to show shortly after and I used lighter fluid to get the tag off. It came off pretty easy, be patient while removing, then comb it out and wash the area asap afterwards.

But they do fall off on their own with time, faster in winter than summer though or is it faster in cold temps than warm ,,can't remember haven't bought an animal in a long time.

WD 40 always worked great for me...just lift the edge of the tag and spray underneath while pulling gentley. It comes off and seldom will even tear.....sometimes will leave a bit of glue but a curry comb will take that right off as well.......WD 40 also works great for removing paint stick marks on cattle. Spray, wait a few seconds and start scraping with the curry comb.

Wormy Coyote":1t3lh2xt said:
tom4018":1t3lh2xt said:
Never tried it before but was told that WD-40 does good.

Seen the old Panther Pi$$ and curry comb trick at many a sale barn. Alot of short solid mouth cows bred 3 and 4 months magically became 5 year olds bred 5 and 6.

haha in Maine we call it Weasel Pi$$ :lol:

options":151ckncu said:
Texas PaPaw

I would think after a period of time they would wear off on there own. Why worry about the tag? Are you concerned they will ingest the tag and fall ill?

Im going to guess he wants to resell. But I agree why pull the tag off unless you are trying to pull a fast one on someone about the state of the cow. In which case i personally just dont agree.

A few times a year I get auction calves to raise & resell, I HATE the glue spots on them because they annoy me and I feel like it makes a bad impression on potential buyers as well. My calves are healthy before I even consider selling them and I usually do let the buyer know they originally came from the auction house... just like them to consider the calf itself before turning their nose up because of a glue spot!

I have had Great success with using Baby Oil & a 'flea/lice' comb. it takes a few minutes but it does not pull the hair, leaves the calfs coat looking nice and shiney and the oil eventually is absorbed or washed off.

If you don't care about a bald spot, i found out while treating a hernia that VetWrap(the stretchy bandage that sticks to itself) sticks hard to the old glue and causes the hair to lift/break from the skin. The calf will be left with a small, irritated spot for a little bit but the 'bald spot' is still fuzzy and it shouldn't take long for the calf to grow it's hair back.

Hope this helps! :wave:

CattleHand":1pa0ofvi said:
options":1pa0ofvi said:
Texas PaPaw

Im going to guess he wants to resell. But I agree why pull the tag off unless you are trying to pull a fast one on someone about the state of the cow. In which case i personally just dont agree.
I don't think it is pulling a fast one to buy a cow out of the weigh cow pen at one sale and to have her aged and palpated at another sale. Some times you can get some decent bred cows out of the weigh cows and sometimes you find out why the cow was there (palpated open at the farm/ranch).

Havent bought for a while but when I did I just turned them loose and the mesquite thorns worked fine. :lol:

Cal

Calman":2x7e0vn1 said:
Havent bought for a while but when I did I just turned them loose and the mesquite thorns worked fine. :lol:

Cal

Topped a hill one afternoon Cal and there was a big black cow with horns about 18 inches long sticking straight up......running right down the middle of the road and still wearing those yellow back tags. Reckon ol' Joe Blow didn't check fence before buying this ol' gal. She looked like she would have put you up a tree and then just stayed there with you the rest of the day.

TexasBred":28ydh625 said:
Calman":28ydh625 said:

Cal

Topped a hill one afternoon Cal and there was a big black cow with horns about 18 inches long sticking straight up......running right down the middle of the road and still wearing those yellow back tags. Reckon ol' Joe Blow didn't check fence before buying this ol' gal. She looked like she would have put you up a tree and then just stayed there with you the rest of the day.

Had that crazy look in her eyes huh?
Until we went to all angus keeping our own replacements we used to get them kind.
You would walk out in the pasture and that one would raise her head above the others with that wild look in her eyes.
Didn't take long to weed them kind out. I'm getting to old to run or jump fences. :lol2:

Cal

Calman":1kxbz007 said:

Had that crazy look in her eyes huh?
Until we went to all angus keeping our own replacements we used to get them kind.
You would walk out in the pasture and that one would raise her head above the others with that wild look in her eyes.
Didn't take long to weed them kind out. I'm getting to old to run or jump fences. :lol2:

Cal[/quote]

OR sit in a tree half a day with the fire ants eating your a$$ alive. :cry2:

I too was wondering what will take that glue off. I have noticed that when they really glob the glue on that the glue can chemically burn the calfs skin (especially light skinned breeds) leaving a raw sore that takes weeks to regrow hair. The other side of that is I got a real good deal on a sale barn knothead with a salebarn tag sore on his back. I try to remove the tag as soon as I get home and wd 40 doesn't work worth **** but I'd rather lose some hair than hide so I just use a sharp knife and shave the tag off carefully.

Latest posts