Remote hydraulics

Help Support CattleToday:


Well-known member
Jul 6, 2009
Reaction score
Odell, NC
Never had any equipment that required hydraulics but I have a few questions about remotes. My tractor has a single spool remote.

How many different size couplings are there and what is the rhyme and reason to what equipment has which?
I see some implements have two hydraulic lines and some have one, what is the difference and will my remote work with both or do you have to change the set up?

Anything else I should know?


Ok I guess I should elaborate a little more. If the equipment has two lines then it would have a double action cylinder, i think, and I should leave my remote set to normal and attach the lines accordingly. If it has one line then it would have a single action cylinder and I would need to change my remote to that setting by changing the screw valve on the front and then attach the line to the lift(?) side only. Is this right?

As far as the couplings being different, are there adapters out there that I can buy or make so I can use the equipment with more than one tractor.
The cylinders with only one hose use gravity for the return. Just plug into one side of the tractor. If you plug it in the wrong side, you'll just have to move the lever the opposite direction to make it work.

As far as adaptors, John Deere used to have different couplers than the other makes. If your tractors not a deere but you have older equipment with deere male plugs, you could use and adaptor but it would proably be easier to just change the couplings so everything hooks up without adapters.
There are a whack of different sized hydraulic couplings available, from 1/4" Pioneer all the way up to 1". On your normal garden variety field tractor, 3/4" hydraulic fittings are the norm. John Deere use their own, either new style or old style, Case had an old style coupler, when they moved to Case-IH they switched to another proprietary coupler, then moved to Pioneer. Most of the rest of the world uses a 3/4" Pioneer, however the threaded end may be pipe or ORB.

Confused yet?

There is no rhyme or reason behind why the manufacturers used different coupler ends. None of them of a given size will flow better than the other.

The real thing to remember is not to worry about it. The ends can be switched on the implement to match your tractor, or adapters are readily available.

On the single hose, versus double hose: Single hose into a cylinder means single acting. This means power OUT, but retract is based on the weight of the implement or a spring return. Two hoses is double acting, which means power to both directions.


Latest posts