Remember books?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I don't mean novels, I'm talking about books. I was sorting through some things this morning, and found several I used to really value. Titles like The Science of Animal Husbandry, and Forage Management. No real need in thumbing through the index pages of a book anymore.

I read lots of magazines and articles on certain subjects but don't read many if any "books" as you called them. I'd much rather read a fiction novel. My daily life is enough non-fiction for me. Reading James Harriot now.

M-5":2kd6x5oh said:
I have a lot of books on a myriad of subjects and even have a good set of encyclopedias I like to read them from time to time .
One thing my mom left me when she died was her set of encyclopedias because she knew I use to love to read them. I think they were 1960 models. :lol2: :lol2:

I used to be really interested in history and spent a goodly amount of time wandering around in old book stores. Not the modern ones that sell nothing but new stuff. The ones that had nothing but old stuff. Anyway, I found an old history text book, "The hostory of the world from 500BC to 1945". I read almost like a novel. The various things that would happen in one place would be carried through to show the modern results from it. Kind of like the old TV show "Connections" that should the affects of one thing on the future things. It was pretty tattered, I read it regularly just like you would a very good novel. Some horses A__ stole it from the barracks when I was in Iceland.

One of the big reasons I decided to move was that I don't have time to read anymore and I feel like part of me died when I lost that. I can spend all day with my nose in a book and consider it a day well spent.

Bigfoot":25bi6y5v said:
Titles like The Science of Animal Husbandry,

I've got that one.

For me, my books , as in reference books, novels etc., are more reliable than my computer is. My file cabinet and note-pads (paper ones) are also more reliable.

I will lose satellite signal at any given time on any given day.

I'm one of those old hold-outs, I still like real books.

Morrison's feeds and feeding manual was a great book my Uncle gave me his and I have no idea what happened to it.

J&D Cattle":n2d1gm5f said:
I read lots of magazines and articles on certain subjects but don't read many if any "books" as you called them. I'd much rather read a fiction novel. My daily life is enough non-fiction for me. Reading James Harriot now.
I love James Harriet also! I was disappointed when i learned that he really didn't do all of those things.
I listen to a lot of books on tape in the car. Supply is very limited at the libraries though. Sometimes I go through 2 per week. It's about all you can do when you drive, and it sure makes the time go faster.

I have *nearly* the whole collection of James Harriot.. as well as his biography.

I don't read much.. on occasion there'll be a book that I get into and then there's no stopping me though!

Latest posts