Remedy/Diesel = dead cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411

Reaction score
Found a 6/7 yr old cow dead on Sunday. This is our 1st mature animal to die. She was healthy (appeared to be in all aspects) last week. Varmits have already got at her so no post on her. I know it could be tons of things but what popped in my mind this morning is grandpa told us cattle like oil and will lick it. We have been cutting and spraying the stump/roots of thorn bushes w/ remedy/diesel mix. I wonder if she went around and licked the spots we sprayed? How much and how long would it take to kill a mature 1200 lb cow? Do you think this would even be possible? Other then that who knows, hardware? poisionus plant? lightening? I did find her under a tree, on her side with legs extended (this could have been due to bloating up after death too) She was current on all vacs and worming. Was not a calving difficulty as she has a 6 mts old calf in the pasture. Any other ideas? Thanks.

I don't have any experience with bloat or the remedy/diesel mix, but i did have three (1 - 2yr old bull & 2 - 4yr old trophy steers) hit by lighting under a tree once. we found them on their side with the legs extended like you said. If you look up at the tree she was under, does that look like it was hit by lightening? The tree ours were under was obviously hit by lightening.

We've had two cows over the years get struck by lightenin. Nothin will touch them afterwards...not a buzzard, not a coyote...zip.......just lays there bloats up and rots if not drug off and buried.

I'd be more inclined since the carcass was ate away, that it was more likely some other cause and not lightenin.

The tree is really just a scrub brush, no real big limbs, none broken that I can tell. The only thing eaten on her is her throat and rear end.

I've been using Remedy and diesel for years to the tune of gallons and gallons and gallons of the stuff, often in the same pastures as the cattle, and I've yet to see the cattle show an interest in the concoction let alone die from it.

flaboy-":2v2qxe2j said:
I agree with Miles and Arnold. I would suspect something other than Remedy.

Me three I just have a hard time seeing her get enough of a sprayed product, now if she drank a bucket of it is a different story.

Latest posts