Remedy and blackberrys

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I've used rememdy a number of times on blackberries with mixed results. From what I've been able to gather, the only time that they are really suceptible to herbicides is when they are in full bloom. That's about a 2 week window and I generally can't get to them at that time. That's using a foliar spray.
Here's the question!
Has anybody had any luck, longterm erradication, by using a basal spray?
About a month and half ago I sprayed(basal) several 6-8 inch DBH Locust trees. It seemed like last week they hadn't even started to look sick. Yesterday I mixed some more remedy to hit them again and couldn't believe my eyes when I drove up and they were brown and dead/dieing.
So which is more succesfull (permanent), basal or foliar? Last year I sprayed some smaller whip size locuts (foliar) and until this week-end appeared dead. Yesterday I noticed new growth down low around the base. Others were deader then a ............, we won't go into that.

dun

I've had the same rather poor results foliar spraying Remedy on blackberries (dewberries) and the guys at the farm & ranch supply store just tell me they are awfully hard to kill out completely. Have had similarly unsatisfactory results with foliar spraying Remedy on huisache. They defoliate nicely and much of the top part of the bush or "tree" is dead & dry, but next year there is a lot of regrowth sprouting from the lower sections. Supposedly a foliar spray mixture of Remedy plus Grazon works much better, but most of the year I can't used Grazon legally because of the proximity of cotton fields.

Consequently, I had abandoned the foliar method and now get virtually 100% root kill with the basal stem method using Remedy and diesel. I've also used it on blackberry canes with great result, but it seemed like I was wasteing a lot of my Remedy/diesel in the spraying process. So I got a few fairly worn out paintbrushes and screwed them onto about a 3 or 4 foot long piece of wood or stick. I then go and "paint" the Remedy/diesel onto the canes. Takes a lot more time but uses very little Remedy to get the job done.

I use barbados , I bought about 4 a few years ago, Bought them to clear up all the brush around our 3 acre pond, They did a great job !! All of the black berries are gone , no brush on the dam , except for some large huisatch trees, We have 8 right now after going to the sale twice and selling enough to pay for the initial investment :lol:
And yes I remember that you don't like range maggots! 8) 8)

For the huisace (sp) we have found the best thing for us is very labor intensive but works well. Cut the bush/tree at the base ground level and spray remedy/diesel mix on the stub. Throw all of the cut bushes in a pile and burn. We got rid of a whole pasture this way and they haven't come back in 2 years now. :D

Spray'em, mow'em, put them in a blender if you want to, just don't hurt'em while they are makin them berries. Good cobler!!

Hillbilly

hillbilly":200sswqy said:
Spray'em, mow'em, put them in a blender if you want to, just don't hurt'em while they are makin them berries. Good cobler!!

Hillbilly

When I was a kid I picked so many blackberrys I don't care if I ever eat or see another one. That was the big "fruit" that my mother canned every year and we ate the sorry things all year long, yuck.

dun

foliar p+d will take care of dewberries, but i'm not sure about blackberries.

for huisache & mesquite, basal treatment of remedy + diesel. the key is to spray from the ground up about 6 inches ALL the way around the trunk.

txag":eyhfojd9 said:
foliar p+d will take care of dewberries, but i'm not sure about blackberries.

for huisache & mesquite, basal treatment of remedy + diesel. the key is to spray from the ground up about 6 inches ALL the way around the trunk.

Dewberrys are as easy to kill as MF rose. Those blackberrys are just a real pain. Last year in the spirng I sprayed a couple of patches about the size of a truck scattered over 5-6 acres. Couldn't see any sign of them this past spring. About 2/3 of them are gone and no sign of them, others look like they thought the remedy was fertilizer.
I think that's what makes it so frustrating. If I nknew they weren't going to die I'ld go and scour the pasture in the spring for a sign of them, but I'm not willing to do it when they should be dead. Ah well, less patience with age, oops, experience.

dun

Dun, I know this doesn't answer your question about basal Remedy, and I can't yet testify to the "long term" part of it, but so far I've been pleased with the Ally. I've been spot treating some with a foliar til runoff and so far it looks pretty good. But this is just going on the second year. Even seems to work well after berry set.

Like txag said, I've also tried the straight Grazon and it seems to work. Haven't tried it enough though, to tell for sure if its really getting'em, or if its just a burndown/comeback situation.

I thought dewberries were the wild version of the domesticated blackberries :?: Seems like people here call them the same thing, are they actually a whole different type of plant? If so how do you tell them apart? We have some growing in the fence rows but I guess I'm not sure what they are then.

sidney411":25vdcfwl said:
I thought dewberries were the wild version of the domesticated blackberries :?: Seems like people here call them the same thing, are they actually a whole different type of plant? If so how do you tell them apart? We have some growing in the fence rows but I guess I'm not sure what they are then.

What I've alwasy referred to as dewberries are the small blackberry type of thing that grow flat on the ground and have a very small berry that is sweet as sugar. Blackberrys are the coarse ugly invasive pasture stealing fence destroying ones.

dun

Dun the best luck I ever had killing anything was a few years ago when I mixed one third each of diesel , remedy , and grazon. I put it in a dishsoap bottle and squirted it basally on some sasafrass and persimon trees that was actually on the neighbors side of the fence but were starting to hang over . It worked wonderfully and this was late August. I would highly recomend it for anything too big to spray. I don't know how you could apply this mixture to blackberry canes without soaking the ground. It sure will work on larger brush . From the hundred or so trees that I treated, no survivors...

ollie":2t8rh2x3 said:
Dun the best luck I ever had killing anything was a few years ago when I mixed one third each of diesel , remedy , and grazon. I put it in a dishsoap bottle and squirted it basally on some sasafrass and persimon trees that was actually on the neighbors side of the fence but were starting to hang over . It worked wonderfully and this was late August. I would highly recomend it for anything too big to spray. I don't know how you could apply this mixture to blackberry canes without soaking the ground. It sure will work on larger brush . From the hundred or so trees that I treated, no survivors...

I've got a handy-dandy mustard squeezer filled with rmemdy and diesel that I carry all the time. I've just used it to squirt stumps, never thought of squirting the trunk itself, dah.

I leaned over the fence and sprayed half of the base of a bunch of locusts at the nieghbors too. Just noticed that there must be a locust blight or something. All of the once close to the fence are dead. Hopefully the neighbor either a) won't notice, b) won't care, or maybe c) be glad they're dead

dun

dun":vzde66bb said:
hillbilly":vzde66bb said:

Hillbilly

When I was a kid I picked so many blackberrys I don't care if I ever eat or see another one. That was the big "fruit" that my mother canned every year and we ate the sorry things all year long, yuck.

dun

I had to pick'em when I was a kid too. Ours were in brush piles. we would have chiggers under our eye lids by the time we had them all picked!
I hated them then....But now I'm the Dad, my kids hate them but I love them.

Hillbilly

hillbilly":y1vzop05 said:
dun":y1vzop05 said:
hillbilly":y1vzop05 said:

Hillbilly

dun

I had to pick'em when I was a kid too. Ours were in brush piles. we would have chiggers under our eye lids by the time we had them all picked!
I hated them then....But now I'm the Dad, my kids hate them but I love them.

Hillbilly

Ah, perspective. If my grandkids picked them maybe I'ld like them. Nah, I'ld still hate them.

dun

Dun in my mind I can't imagine how you get the chemical to the canes unless you just have a few large canes. Let me know what works. I have some kind of green briar that grows close to the ground. I am now devoting more effort to rid the world of this plant.

ollie":2zofz77w said:
Dun in my mind I can't imagine how you get the chemical to the canes unless you just have a few large canes. Let me know what works. I have some kind of green briar that grows close to the ground. I am now devoting more effort to rid the world of this plant.

That's pretty much the quandry I find myself in. Maybe if I burn them down with foliar then go back and hit them for the canes. Or I could just wait till they're in full bloom again next year and hope that I can get to them along with everything else going on.

dun

I've been thinking this over somemore and have a couple more questions/thoughts.
Since these are growing fairly large patches in the pasture and are still at a fairly small stage, what should I use as the carrier?
Diesel will poison the grass in the area and probably the only thing that will grow will be weeds. What about mineral oil? Or would water work as well, just need to do a follow up treatment or two?

dun

Latest posts