Rejuvenating the alfalfa field

Help Support CattleToday:

BAR_R

Reaction score
The alfalfa field needs to be killed 9 acres. This is an old field that was in place when I bought the house. The weeds are outnumbering the alfalfa. I am looking at spraying Roundup after I get about a week or two's growth after this last cutting (I cut Aug 31.) So what now? Do I just let is sit over the fall and winter or is there anything I can do to make this ground productive for the rest of the fall and into winter? After spraying should I disk or disturb the soil? Plant anything in the fall or wait for spring? Spray for broadleaf in the spring? We have had a rainy year and we are about 3 inches over norm. The rain has been nice rains spread out and not all at once. I don't want to tare the ground up too much because I have a slightly rolling ground and want to avoid erosion (and any rocks that might pop up.)

Soil test: Ph 7

I have applied 150 # Potash, 75# Phosphorus, 10# Sulfur this year.

I was thinking of an annual rye and Timothy for next year and then back to Alfalfa/Timothy in 2009. This will be my first field renovation. I really would love any opinions or tips.

I believe I would either do a search for rejuvenating alfalfa in your area, or I would go ahead and plant it to rye/Timothy like you said, then plant back to alfalfa the next year. I know that alfalfa can produce autotoxins that will kill new seedlings - but I'm not sure if it's an automatic thing, or if it only happens under certain conditions.

Latest posts