Rejected calf

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
I have a week-old calf that only spent the first day with its mother. The calf disappeared through the fence into the adjoining woods when it was less than a day old. I let the mother out to search the woods but she showed up back at the gate the next day to go back in with the herd so I let her in, thinking the calf had died.

I rode my horse through the woods several times, and hands had passed through several times also, with no sign of the calf.

Today, a full week since it disappeared, the calf was spotted and I caught it and took it to its mother. He seemed to recognize the mother but she would have nothing to do with the calf.

I returned in an hour and the mother was grazing and had walked far away from the calf, so I brought the calf back and put in in a stall with a pan of water with some Similac mixed with it. I tried pouring bottled water in its mouth and got no reaction at all. I couldn't find a calf nursing bottle and it was late so I will get one in the morning if it's still alive.

I've tried to save calves with bottle feeders twice before and neither of them made it. I was using powdered milk replacer mix.

What should I do to save this calf?
gabby

If you don't get any liquid in it, it won't last. I'm surprised it lasted this long. If you can't get a regular bottle - try anything human baby bottle, garden hose, empty wine bottle, or funnel. The main thing is to get some liquids in it. One old remedy is to inject saline water under the skin. It will asorb this rather quickly. You need to get some electrolites in it prompto. While you are picking up the calf bottle when the doors open to the store in the morning you need to get some supplies for tubing it also. I dought it will drink from a bottle at this point. Good luck, your gonna be needing all you can get.

Sounds like you need to tube feed it. Getting nutrition into the calf asap is of primary importance. Do you know anyone in the area that might have a tuber you could borrow this evening?

It is pretty amazing that it is still alive after being away that long.

Hey Bama and Bull Lady,
Thanks for the suggestions! I just nursed it with a wine bottle and a mix of water+similac+maple syrup. He loved it! I finished up with a bottle of pure water and he slurped it down too and then he was convinced I was his Mama. He stuck to my legs like glue. I stopped there because I didn't want to overdo it. He perked up immediately once he figured out how to suck the bottle. I'll get some whole milk and a nursing bottle in the morning. I think he's gonna make it!
gabby

Great, thats good to hear. Sometimes you have to improvise. Wine bottles ain't the best thing, as I'm sure you have learned, but it does work in a pinch. I'm just glad I didn't have to pull out any of my 'bizarre" remedys. You'll probally have a bottle calf on your hands but with the luck your having so far maybe the momma will take it back.

We had a friend that this has happened to and he said he pinned the cow up several times a day for a week to let the calf eat and she finally took the calf back. The only thing is her milk might be dryed up by now, I don't know just thought you might think on this. If it worked it might be a pain for a week. Who know, best luck to you.
Greenwillows Wife

Morning update - Calf loves his new nursing bottle. Drank a whole bottle of whole milk+milk replacer+water+1 raw egg. I gave him a bottle of plain water next and he was attacking that when I left. Had a firm bm overnight. Staying up on his feet a lot. So far so good. Thanks for the good ideas.
gabby

I'd name him Lazarus. He should have been dead 2 days ago. I'm glad you got him going.

I was worried that he would perfer the wine bottle. :lol: Now that hes drinking from the bottle your battle is 3/4's over. You still have a chore ahead of you. I would be giving him the richest milk replacer I could get. Good Luck.

Is it a bull or heifer? Just wondering. If it's a bull you better not get too attached or it will be hard to ship him off.

bubchub":3nvngvxc said:
Is it a bull or heifer? Just wondering. If it's a bull you better not get too attached or it will be hard to ship him off.

For my money it be near impossible ta bottle feed one a the little rascals without gettin pretty fond of it!!! :D :D :D

george

Lazarus is a good name. He should have been plenty dead. Heck of it is, he ain't going to amount to much without his mother. Stabilize him and ship him. You know "grow wheels". I had to learn that one the hard way.

During the bottle feeding don't look at it as a pet. Look at it as dollar signs. It makes em easier to get rid of. After a time or two it won't bother you in the least bit.

Bama":2lumn7en said:
During the bottle feeding don't look at it as a pet. Look at it as dollar signs. It makes em easier to get rid of. After a time or two it won't bother you in the least bit.
Worse problem we have is the kids get into raising them and don't want to part with em'. Breaks their little Hearts when it's time to haul them to the Sale. They'll figure it out someday. Bills, Taxes, etc. etc. etc.

Yea, after they figure out that money don't grow on trees they begin to understand. I have 2, a 15yo girl and a 12 yo boy. I don't think the girl has figured that out yet. She constantly has here hand out. They both have calves of their own. They are not bottle calves though. The boy is like me he's a tightwad, the girl is right the oppisite.

Bama":3oe4kecr said:
Yea, after they figure out that money don't grow on trees they begin to understand. I have 2, a 15yo girl and a 12 yo boy. I don't think the girl has figured that out yet. She constantly has here hand out. They both have calves of their own. They are not bottle calves though. The boy is like me he's a tightwad, the girl is right the oppisite.
My Boy is like me , he wants to re-invest, Sell Calves, and buy more Cows. Daughter wants to have a Dispersal sale and Hit the Mall.They're a little younger than yours. They both have their own Cows, and when calves are sold, it goes to the good ol' College Fund.Figure about another 200 head and it might put a ding in the tuition Bill.

D.R. Cattle":1zkl02bp said:
Lazarus is a good name. He should have been plenty dead. Heck of it is, he ain't going to amount to much without his mother. Stabilize him and ship him. You know "grow wheels". I had to learn that one the hard way.

Good idea but too late to name him Lazarus. Son named him Rambo.

After 48 hours, Rambo is still taking the bottle when he feels like it and spending a lot of time lying down. I'm giving him whole milk plus two raw eggs per day.

When can he eat solid feed, and what kind of feed?

Ironically, night before last a healthy calf was born and the mama is MIA. Can't find a body, and none of the cows in the herd showed any interest in the calf or any signs of being the mama. This calf is now being bottle fed too.

These two mama cows will be growing wheels soon, assuming I can identify the latest one!

gabby

Gabby, You've been having some kind of Luck. When those Calves reach 2-3 weeks of age, introduce them to a good Calf Starter. 18% medicated, is what we use. We have real good results with it. Hope your situation gets better!

Here's the update after week 1.

Both calves are hanging in there and taking the bottle well. They're being cared for by a friend who loves to nurse sick young critters back to health. They're still having some scours but this morning I visited them at breakfast and they were both alert and anxious to eat. They emptied their bottles like vacuum cleaners then they got lazy, just like I do after a big meal. They're on milk replacer twice a day plus electrolytes once a day. They've had 4 days of tetramycin for scours.

Can't see any growth or weight gain yet but I'm just glad they're alive. The younger one who went on the bottle a day after birth is stronger than the older one one who disappeared for a week after being with mama for a day. I guess that's no surprise.

Finally had a normal calf birth today after those two abandonments. New mama and baby have bonded and everything looks normal. Mighty glad to see that.
gabby

Sounds like you're on the right track Gabby! Great job hanging in there.. it can sure be frustrating sometimes.

And glad to hear you finally had a "normal" birth. :cboy:

Latest posts