Rehoming

Help Support CattleToday:

boondocks

Reaction score
I am trying to rehome this nice mama (thru a few channels) and can't figure out why I'm getting few bites. Is there something with her conformation that's off? Background: black angus, just turned 7, due with her 5th calf next March, AI bred to a great sire. We have had almost all female calves, so we are trying to lower our female numbers (selling ones we would have no problem keeping, including a few I hated to see go, as did our herd/genetics advisor).(We have had 76% females over the past 5 years, including 86% this year!). FWIW, it's not that people are coming to see her and taking a pass. Haven't been able to get that far even.

I know there's regional variation but what kind of a price range would you put on her?

She's a nice looking cow. I don't see any glaring faults with her. If somebody would come out and look at her, I bet they would take her home. Is she registered or commercial?

A.J.":9kgelt56 said:
She's a nice looking cow. I don't see any glaring faults with her. If somebody would come out and look at her, I bet they would take her home. Is she registered or commercial?

Registered. Her pedigree on paper isn't frou-frou though; I'd be more than happy to sell her into a good commercial herd, and thought I'd priced her to interest all comers. What would such a critter bring in your area?

Nesikep":1afvs5s1 said:
She's black, that's the problem :p
Seriously, she's a nice cow!

Thanks Nesi! I wish I could find her a home before the snow blows. What would she go for in your area (just broad range)? Trying to figure out if I need to take even more of a haircut...

She looks like a top cow Boondocks. I have the same problem with my surplus females, they are not worth a premium as registered cows as most people with registered herds have the same problem so are not in the market for any new genetics and the perception is that I am only getting rid of my crook cows. When I have identified my cull cows I keep an eye out for a specialty breeder sale and sell them tested in calf though it is no guarantee that I will get better money than their meat value, it is nice to know that they will live on and have a few more calves. My herd is getting younger every year so my culls mostly have only reared 3 calves now so that makes them more attractive to buyers.

Ken

Looks like a very nice cow to me, I would think she should be worth $1,000+. We have breeder - specialty sales monthly around here and she'd do good at one of those.

callmefence":2t190ypv said:
Nice cow I would expect or pay high end slaughter if open. 10 to 20 percent more if bred. 1000 to 1250 I would think.
Much lower fence it's an Angus and to top it off its from New York.
They will probably have to give it away
:pop:

Let see here, a 7 yr old, 3 months bred commercial cow was worth $1000 to $1250 last week. Since the packer cow market broke this week, probably worth closer to $1000 today.

boondocks":2o9pqpae said:
A.J.":2o9pqpae said:

Registered. Her pedigree on paper isn't frou-frou though; I'd be more than happy to sell her into a good commercial herd, and thought I'd priced her to interest all comers. What would such a critter bring in your area?

It would vary by the sale and the day, but I'd guess she would bring between $1100-$1500. I'd say prices will start to get a little cheaper going towards winter. She might bring more at a specialty or registered sale.

A single cow for sale will eliminate some buyers too. When I see 1 cow for sale from a herd, right or wrong I assume there is an issue with her that the sellers aren't mentioning. Plus when buying replacements I would rather buy a larger group from one farm than put together a group from multiple farms. For me to even take a look it would have to be real cheap and real close.

The fall feeder calf sales are taking place now and there is usually a lot of people at the sales. Locally it seems there are always some cows that will go through the ring at those sales and there are always people bidding on them - if you get desperate. Good luck - looks and sounds like a good cow; just not a great market right now.

Cada22":mwjxxnl8 said:
What is she priced at?

I've asked 1500, which seems in line with what others are asking (but maybe not getting either). I won't slaughter a pregnant cow but seems she'd be worth that as freezer beef...I've got a good hundred bucks in AI and vet preg check alone. Paid 750-800 for her as a weanling (granted, few years back). Have retained 2 of her daughters and she's our oldest mama. Maybe I'll group her with a few others and try to sell through an intermediary. Or drop the price a hundred and see if that gets anyone interested. If she's really only worth a grand (at current prices), I'd have to think hard about keeping her...

I think selling her as a single is what is hurting you. As others have said, one cow listed for sale at that age makes people instinctively think "cull". Most people looking for middle aged, bred and registered stock would be more inclined to bite if it is a group of 3 or 4 uniform cows. Especially given your location, it may be more hassle for them to come look at one cow than they figure it is worth.... :2cents:

Boot Jack Bulls":1kgdijd6 said:
I think selling her as a single is what is hurting you. As others have said, one cow listed for sale at that age makes people instinctively think "cull". Most people looking for middle aged, bred and registered stock would be more inclined to bite if it is a group of 3 or 4 uniform cows. Especially given your location, it may be more hassle for them to come look at one cow than they figure it is worth.... :2cents:

:nod: :nod: :nod:

BC":32rmlgx0 said:
Let see here, a 7 yr old, 3 months bred commercial cow was worth $1000 to $1250 last week. Since the packer cow market broke this week, probably worth closer to $1000 today.

$1200 maybe out here. Might bring more as she's a bit more "fancy".

TexasBred":337r844w said:
BC":337r844w said:

$1200 maybe out here. Might bring more as she's a bit more "fancy".

Seen a group of 5 cows just like her 5-8 years old 3-5 months bred with papers people wanted 1400 but took 1200.

Latest posts