Regulations regarding power lines in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Is any one aware of any regulations requiring companies to maintain a distance from vegetation to their lines? It seems like I have heard it mentioned several times but I can find it in writing any where. Seem like the distance was based on the amount of power the line carried.

Ive been looking on the Public Utility Commission website with no luck but it ALOT to read thru.

When the tree terrorist come thru trimming limbs away from lines they cut them back ten feet. One year they cut every branch on the south side of a big Hackberry we had. Made them come back and cut it down because it sure looked like crap. That's how I found out the ten feet thing.

I have heard the same thing... just cant find it in writing any where. A few years back they came thru and widened some of the big transmission lines saying that the regulations had gotten more strict and required more distance. I assumed that meant some kind of govt regulation entity set guidelines... like the RRC would for O&G.

I heard 15 ft on either side of the line.. They were out here a while back. Those long arm cutters are just the craziest thing. Had a few of the new residents all up in arms. One protested a small oak tree they wanted cut under the line...Said he'd sue if they touched it. Um, its under the line. Not sure what is going on through this idiots head. People who move out here from the city, don't understand that one tree is not the deciding factor of your property value like it is on a city lot. Not sure why he's so attached to this small tree...he has like 500 more on his place.. Sometimes I think this is a learned trait that is learned by living in the city, I remember it went on back when I was a kid in the city
They came into my yard and I told him to do what he wanted..I like electricity....Trees got butchered, but as time has shown, they grow back....

Brute 23":1y3nv6bm said:
Is any one aware of any regulations requiring companies to maintain a distance from vegetation to their lines? It seems like I have heard it mentioned several times but I can find it in writing any where. Seem like the distance was based on the amount of power the line carried.

Ive been looking on the Public Utility Commission website with no luck but it ALOT to read thru.

Brute I have no idea but do know they have a right of way under their lines and are suppose to keep that portion cleaned. No idea how wide it is.

We are trying to make them clean their ROW and they are not wanting to. The whole deal has been neglected for years. There are spots you can't drive. We had cattle from another place come thru one of their gates about 6 months ago and a calf went under another one of their gates last week.

I'm looking for some one who regulates these guys. Some one you can call in and report neglect. I'm meeting a land man tomorrow but if it doesn't go our way its going to get nasty.

Most all their ROW are 30' for general lines. Not all lines are ran down the center.

Brute 23":37t84zzd said:
We are trying to make them clean their ROW and they are not wanting to. The whole deal has been neglected for years. There are spots you can't drive. We had cattle from another place come thru one of their gates about 6 months ago and a calf went under another one of their gates last week.

I'm looking for some one who regulates these guys. Some one you can call in and report neglect. I'm meeting a land man tomorrow but if it doesn't go our way its going to get nasty.

Most all their ROW are 30' for general lines. Not all lines are ran down the center.

Their ROW is recorded easement in this part of Texas.
I would think that would be like them telling you to mow your pasture.
Public utility with imminent domain
Good Luck.

Caustic Burno":3vkqob62 said:
Brute 23":3vkqob62 said:

Their ROW is recorded easement in this part of Texas.
I would think that would be like them telling you to mow your pasture.
Public utility with imminent domain
Good Luck.

Ya they aren't afraid to play that card. We can play that game too but I would rather not no matter how fun it would be to knock them down a notch.

Brute 23":22bdgr2q said:

Papers for the easement might have been signed many years ago but if you can put your hands on them I'm pretty sure they will spell out their responsibilities about maintaining their right of ways and you can hold them to it or take them to court. Juries are usually pretty sympathetic to property owners in cases like this.

TexasBred":3nfeune3 said:
Brute 23":3nfeune3 said:

Papers for the easement might have been signed many years ago but if you can put your hands on them I'm pretty sure they will spell out their responsibilities about maintaining their right of ways and you can hold them to it or take them to court. Juries are usually pretty sympathetic to property owners in cases like this.

Hmm thousands in attorney fees or a few gallons of diesel.

cowgirl8":1clnrqs7 said:
I heard 15 ft on either side of the line.. They were out here a while back. Those long arm cutters are just the craziest thing. Had a few of the new residents all up in arms. One protested a small oak tree they wanted cut under the line...Said he'd sue if they touched it. Um, its under the line. Not sure what is going on through this idiots head. People who move out here from the city, don't understand that one tree is not the deciding factor of your property value like it is on a city lot. Not sure why he's so attached to this small tree...he has like 500 more on his place.. Sometimes I think this is a learned trait that is learned by living in the city, I remember it went on back when I was a kid in the city
They came into my yard and I told him to do what he wanted..I like electricity....Trees got butchered, but as time has shown, they grow back....

My apoligies to you ma'am, one of the only things you ever wrote that I agree with. There is hope for simple minded folks like me.

Brute 23":1b41y001 said:
I have heard the same thing... just cant find it in writing any where. A few years back they came thru and widened some of the big transmission lines saying that the regulations had gotten more strict and required more distance. I assumed that meant some kind of govt regulation entity set guidelines... like the RRC would for O&G.
It varies from utility company to utility company, and from my experience,they aren't held to it by any govt statute or reg. They can tell YOU how much the setback is, (30' total..15' either side of the line) but as far as keeping limbs and trees cut, it's generally whatever they feel is good enough to keep the lines from shorting out. They trim my 2000+ ft easement every year. Some places, they cut it clear back to 15' clearance each side, some places a lot less than that. If it isn't a problem for the line, Entergy isn't worried about it and neither was Gulf States before them.

From what I learned, if you throw enough of a stink they'll leave your trees alone. This is what happened down the road, that little oak was left untouched. There was an older couple that every year they put a sign out saying not to touch their trees, directly under the line.. While they were alive, the trees were only trimmed enough....but they died a few years ago and the trees were butchered to death a few weeks ago....literally....I groaned when I drove my 4wheeler by that morning. It was just junk trees, mulberry, but I know that couple obviously thought the world of them. New owner probably didn't know the struggle the last owners had, well, guess they now know why they found a big sign in the barn that said, DO NOT TOUCH THESE TREES...

Brute 23":db0jcclx said:

Michelle Gregg with the OPUC has been assisting lots of people out with complaints about their providers. Don't know, but maybe she could help you out. Her number is 512-936-7532.

slick4591":1iguol4j said:
Brute 23":1iguol4j said:

Michelle Gregg with the OPUC has been assisting lots of people out with complaints about their providers. Don't know, but maybe she could help you out. Her number is 512-936-7532.

Thank you

Caustic Burno":3jjbe4sm said:
TexasBred":3jjbe4sm said:
Brute 23":3jjbe4sm said:

Attorney fees unless you want to face the same problem again in a very few short years.

TexasBred":3dvo1lg3 said:
Caustic Burno":3dvo1lg3 said:
TexasBred":3dvo1lg3 said:

Attorney fees unless you want to face the same problem again in a very few short years.
Rural
Utility companies in Texas are generally pretty good to work with. But if you take it THERE good luck. They are well protected by tort.

Fence neighbor got to fighting with them about easement.
My dad had given half and the people he bought the land in the fifties.
New neighbors went to raising cane about fencing the easement with me saying no. Neighbor didn't want them with ROW.
This Co-op moved all the easement over on to my property and took the poles down going to the neighbors as they didn't have easement.
They got his mind right.

We have a weekender asking if they can have a easement across our property for electricity.....H e l l to the NO....The line should be taken down the road so that more people can benefit from it. Down the road it will cost this guy 15,000. Over the back part of our land, may save him a couple thousand bucks. His problem is, he wants electricity, the other few weekenders want electricity, but not as bad as the guy on the end. SO they are holding out so he'll have to pay for it all instead of breaking it up into around 4 pieces. He was thinking that if we let him take it in from behind, he'd have the power to give the others easements for which his plan was to not give an easement... Its not going across our land, so hope he's not holding his breath.... Whats crazy is they had no idea about getting electricity out here. I guess they just assumed everyone has a 'right' to electricity...Nope, should have checked that out before you bought the place. In fact, a guy bought the whole place and had no idea there was no electricity, but was smart and broke it up into 4 plots and sold it for 1,000 more an acre in less than a year...I'm sure he hoped the people buying didn't notice either.. I did see a couple guys out there one time and mentioned it, not knowing it was a realtor and a client.. he was not one who bought, You're welcome....

Latest posts