Regular bermuda grass?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ga Hillbilly, I'm pretty close to you. 100 miles due south of ATL, about 50 miles east of Columbus. A lifetime of row crop farming has convinced me that common Bermuda is about the most resilient grass there is. In rowcrops it is a noxious weed. Anything you do to it short of a gallon of roundup per acre just stimulates it. If you turn it under, that is just like fertilizing it. Try to plow a crop with it in it, and you scatter it all over the field. For this reason, I consider it a great fairly low input grass for grazing. Not necessarily for hay. I have planted about 20 acres of common since 2016. I use raw, hulled seed. I mix With fertilizer in a cone type spreader. I try to put about 10 pounds of the hulled seed per acre. I prep by scratching up the soil surface with a disc harrow. I spread the seed/fertilizer mix, then pull a drag made of old tires over it. I have had pretty good success with this. The seed has nearly doubled in price since I started doing this. The cheapest I have found hulled, raw seed this tear is near $400 for 50 pounds.

About 25 years ago I planted 100 acres of corn. I plowed down, with a bottom plow, about 3000 pounds of chicken manure. I applied an additional 70 units of nitrogen, and irrigated with a cable tow rig. I made nearly 200 bushels of corn per acre, but in the spots where common Bermuda was,the grass got near knee high. It does respond to water and fertilizer.

Latest posts