registration papers

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
Whatever breed bull you buy, you'd probably do well to get the registration papers in your name. The AngusSource tag requires the reg number of the bull. The Red Angus tag also requires information on the bull. As this animal ID program gets moving, I think we're going to see more programs that will pay for genetic information on cattle.

I read an article recently by an AAA officer who said he had over a dozen requests for enrollment in the AngusSource program, but the producers didn't have the papers on their bulls.

I don't know about other breeds, but it's the seller's responsibility to transfer papers on Angus animals. If you buy an Angus bull and the breeder doesn't mention it, ask him to transfer those papers into your name. At the very least, write down the registration # of the bull so you can have it if you have to contact the assn later.

When I sell a registered animal...I take care of getting the registration transferred to the buyer. It is not something they have to ask me to do....

I agree.